converting raw images from ...

bd
Subjectconverting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
Frombd
Date11/30/2013 01:48 (11/30/2013 00:48)
Message-ID<l7bcla$7m1$1@usenet.pasdenom.info>
FollowupsAlan Browne (19m)
Floyd L. Davidson (1h & 41m) > bd
Savageduck (1h & 42m)
Parko (2h & 13m)
sid (9h & 47m)
Neil Ellwood (2d, 11h & 21m)

Hi to Everyone !

I previously had an old Powershot G2, and I used "dcraw" to convert RAW images to such formats as tiff, ppm or jpg. I must state that I dont use MSWIN and don't intend to, so the software that is meant to be used with those cameras is useless to me. My favorite OS are Debian Squeeze on one PC, Ubuntu 13.04 on the other one. DCRAW works fine, but... the results are not as good looking as those that the camera delivers in jpg format, since, I suppose, the latter go through one or more enhancement processes such as sharpening, improving contours and contrasts through the use of various filters or in altering gamma factor etc.. I have tried to treat my converted raw pictures using various filters and else, but I never got results as good as expected, especially if compaired to those that the camera delivers in jpg.

With my new EOS 600D, I use "ufraw", which works as an interface for dcraw. The results that I obtain are neither better nor worse than those with the G2.

So, I wonder if anyone would know about what treatment Canon exactly applies to raw images so as to deliver enhanced jpeg pictures, either inside the camera, or through the software that they provide for use with MSWIN. Is there a place or address where I could expect to find this ?

Thanks in advance for any useful input.

Bernard

Alan Browne (19m)
Floyd L. Davidson (1h & 41m) > bd