An Apology - Was Re: conver...

Eric Stevens
SubjectAn Apology - Was Re: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromEric Stevens
Date12/17/2013 23:24 (12/18/2013 11:24)
Message-ID<p9f1b9h35abmasfdupbcb9lh019hgg6jmb@4ax.com>
FollowsEric Stevens
FollowupsSandman (8h & 11m) > Eric Stevens
Eric Stevens (2d, 2h & 3m)

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:17:29 +1300, I wrote:

--- snip ---

Eric Stevens
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 07:31:46 +0200, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote of the dream world in which he dwelled.

--- snip ---

Sandman
I am a self-employed web developer. I have developed, from scratch, my own Content Managemenet System call Atlas. I sell this to companies that want an easy way to handle their website. I run all my own websites in it as well, of course.

Eric Stevens
This woke me up. A decent Content Management System (CMS) is not a trivial thing to develop and I thought that it would be a notable achievment if Jonas had actually done this.

So I went looking for 'Jonas Eklundh', 'Atlas' and 'Content Management System' and I found that a powerful CMS system called'Atlas' and associated with the name Eklundh is by no means imaginary.

--- snip ---

But then I found http://www.atlasproject.eu/atlas/project/en/index.html which describes the Atlas CMS development program. On the tab for 'Consortium' I found the following organisations were behind Atlas.

* Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iasi (UAIC) - Romania * Atlantis Consulting SA (Atlantis) - Greece * German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI) * Institute for Bulgarian Language at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (IBL DCL) * Institute of Computer Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences (ICS PAS) * Institute of Technology and Development (ITD) * University of Hamburg - Research Group 'Computerphilology' (UHH) * University of Zadar (UniZD) * Tetracom Interactive Solutions LTD

Not a mention of Eklundh to be seen. On the same tab there is a list of 22 people, dripping with Professors and PhDs, who were engaged in the project. Not an Eklundh to be seen here either.

On the Tetracom site on their page http://www.tetracom.com/ilib/tetracom/products/atlas you will see:

"ATLAS is an open-source software platform for multilingual web content management ....

ATLAS is a project funded by the European Commission under the CIP ICT PSP."

I think by now it is clear that Jonas's claim "I have developed, from scratch, my own Content Managemenet System call Atlas" is not true, unless he is opening himself up to a massive trademark law suit. My suspicion is that Eklundh.Com uses the Atlas system and makes use of appropriate packages for it's clients.

Jonas is probably engaged in helping set up some of these and may even tinker with the code. But as for developing it from scratch - the idea is ridiculous.

--- snip ----

I wasn't so much concerned with his qualifications as much as I was with his veracity. I am left with the clear impresson that there is a vast gap between what he is and what he says he is. Jonas's claims about having "developed, from scratch, my own Content Managemenet System call Atlas" is an outright lie so blatant that I can't understand why he even thought he would be able to get away with it.

I am now pleased to be able to say that I was wrong and there almost certainly is no connection between the Eklund 'Atlas' CMS system and the "ATLAS project funded by the European Commission". Also, I have previously seen somewhere on the http://www.eklundh.com/ site a statement to the effect that Jonas wrote and maintains the Atlas CMS software for them, but I couldn't find it again before writing this article.

So, Jonas, I apologise for saying that you were passing off the EC's Atlas as your own. It does appear that the Eklundh Atlas is your own work and as I have already said a fully functioning CMS system is not a trivial thing to develop and is a notable achievment for Jonas to have done this.

I am unhappy about only one thing. I am unable to support my claim that Eklundh.com supports Jonas's claim that he wrote the Atlas system. That leaves me in the situation to which Jonas has so often objected: I cannot support my claim and therefore, according to his definition, I must be a liar. Therefore Jonas cannot accept the truth of my statement that Eklund.com supports his claim that he wrote Atlas, because if he were to do so he would be accepting a statement which he knows to be a lie. I don't know where that leaves him. :-) --

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Sandman (8h & 11m) > Eric Stevens
Eric Stevens (2d, 2h & 3m)