Re: converting raw images f...

Savageduck
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromSavageduck
Date12/02/2013 18:11 (12/02/2013 09:11)
Message-ID<2013120209113779805-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowupsFloyd L. Davidson (7h & 57m) > Savageduck
Sandman (13h & 45m)

On 2013-12-02 15:14:38 +0000, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>said:

Sandman
In article <016p99ljucsvm9d5l1h0gucsv84m2tjgqh@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
Why should I, or anyone, give a rat's ass about how he got to where he did? My assessment is based on the final result, not the steps taken to get there.

Sandman
As is mine.

But I repeat - this thread hasn't talked about Floyd's skill as a photographer until you joined.

There are several Floyd centric elements to this sub-thread:

1. Floyd has knowledge & experience in the technical World in areas few of us could challenge.

2. Floyd has been outspoken on his choice of OS and the tools he uses for image post processing. He holds negative opinions based on misinformation regarding at least one alternative OS, OSX, opinions he has formulated without admitting having ever been exposed to, or having used OSX.

3. Floyd claims he can do all that can be done in Photoshop and ACR using his methods, and yet he remains ignorant of what can actually be achieved with other than his methods, because he has not(or claims he has not) ever made the comparison between his methods and alternative graphics software such as Photoshop. Even with my strong opinions I have attempted to use and compare GIMP with my other choices. It is Floyd who claims his method is superior to all others, it certainly gets the job done to his satisfaction. I suppose that is all that matters.

4. We know that Floyd actually owns and uses some very good photographic equipment. Some of Floyd's kit mirrors equipment used by Sandman (a selection of Nikon cameras and lenses). He uses this equipment to shoot images in some of the harshest conditions on the planet. However he is not exactly producing NatGeo qualifying images, he is certainly not producing any better work than most of the regulars contributing to this NG.

5. He maintains a web page where a selection of his images can viewed by any of us. What is evident is the images Floyd produces and shows us are not much better than many shown here by others, and many are for reasons beyond the equipment used, not particularly special. The environment and many of his subjects are unique to his locale. His images range from "great capture" to an "OK snapshot", to "why did he bother with that?" In that He has produced much the same quality of images that most of us have, some great, but most ordinary and not particularly special other than the lock he has on location.

So the conclusion that I have come to is Floyd can talk circles around me when it comes to Linux and writing scripts, an obvious void in my knowledge and experience. He owns and uses some very good Nikon equipment, much of which I would own if I could afford it. He uses a personalized image processing method which produces images which are in some cases very good, and in others not particularly good. Pretty much what the rest of us come up with. He has no working knowledge of OSX and bases his biases against it on mythology he has developed. The same applies to his opinion of choices regarding mainstream digital image editing software.

I have no idea if he would get better post processed results using Photoshop over his custom methods, but he has never made that comparison. It is quite possible he is the best photographer in Barrow and he is abled to produce work that those around him are in awe of. I doubt that he gets much criticism of his work of any type in Barrow.

He takes criticism of his methods as "gratuitous insults" where they never existed. ...and finally Floyd discounts the knowledge & experience that any of the rest of us have (including knowledge that nospam undeniably has) to the point of issuing insults of his own. If you disagree with him you have no credibility, or integrity.

-- Regards,

Savageduck