Re: converting raw images f...

J. Clarke
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromJ. Clarke
Date11/30/2013 23:29 (11/30/2013 17:29)
Message-ID<MPG.2d042fbe5149ccdf98a1f2@news.newsguy.com>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsSavageduck (8m)
nospam (1h & 39m)

In article <s7mk99th5ema906692fs7ot0i4dabvc43s@4ax.com>, tonycooper214 @gmail.com says...

Tony Cooper
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 08:18:03 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2013-11-30 15:20:07 +0000, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>said:

Tony Cooper
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:21:05 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2013-11-30 02:45:26 +0000, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) said:

Floyd L. Davidson
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
[...] most importantly I have a feeling your hardline choice of OS is your real problem, and it is distracting you from paying attention to improving your photography.

Floyd L. Davidson
That in fact seems to be *your* most serious impediment to improving your photography.

Savageduck
Not really, there is a whole shopping list of other things which impede the improvement of my photography.

Tony Cooper
I constantly give thought to what will improve my own photography. While a better understanding of the combination of the mechanics - aperture, shutter, speed, ISO - are certainly a major goal, I still think that the real difference is mental.

Really good photographs result from *seeing* what is photographable. I know I've walked by what could have been a great photograph many, many times because I didn't see what could be there.

Yeah, I have to compose that scene, position myself to the best advantage, and set the camera to the best advantage, but if I don't see it, I don't do it.

Because I like to photograph people, I rank the ability to *anticipate* right up there with *seeing*. Just seeing people that are photographable isn't enough. I have to get better at anticipating where they will move, what they will do, and what dynamic may be in the offing.

Savageduck
...and having to think about how to maneuver around the arcane mechanics of an OS to process digital images rather than the mechanics of the style and subjects of our photography is an impediment & distraction.

Tony Cooper
I'm not so sure about that. It's my impression that the only people who use systems like Linux do so for a reason, and they are qualified enough with that system that they won't be futzing around. They may have fewer good apps to work with, but they'll be able to work with what they have.

As far as I know, Linux is a choice, not something that comes with a system just because you didn't choose a Mac or Windows OS system.

If you're poor and working with a system that you bought cheap off of ebay you may not have an option--a lot of those come wiped.

Savageduck (8m)
nospam (1h & 39m)