Re: converting raw images f...

Savageduck
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromSavageduck
Date11/30/2013 03:30 (11/29/2013 18:30)
Message-ID<2013112918305719790-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
Followsbd
FollowupsFloyd L. Davidson (14m) > Savageduck
sid (8h & 25m)
ray carter (13h & 21m)
Pablo (2d, 12h & 33m) > Savageduck

On 2013-11-30 00:48:42 +0000, bd <bdebreil@teaser.fr>said:

bd
Hi to Everyone !

I previously had an old Powershot G2, and I used "dcraw" to convert RAW images to such formats as tiff, ppm or jpg. I must state that I dont use MSWIN and don't intend to, so the software that is meant to be used with those cameras is useless to me. My favorite OS are Debian Squeeze on one PC, Ubuntu 13.04 on the other one. DCRAW works fine, but... the results are not as good looking as those that the camera delivers in jpg format, since, I suppose, the latter go through one or more enhancement processes such as sharpening, improving contours and contrasts through the use of various filters or in altering gamma factor etc.. I have tried to treat my converted raw pictures using various filters and else, but I never got results as good as expected, especially if compaired to those that the camera delivers in jpg.

With my new EOS 600D, I use "ufraw", which works as an interface for dcraw. The results that I obtain are neither better nor worse than those with the G2.

So, I wonder if anyone would know about what treatment Canon exactly applies to raw images so as to deliver enhanced jpeg pictures, either inside the camera, or through the software that they provide for use with MSWIN. Is there a place or address where I could expect to find this ?

Thanks in advance for any useful input.

Bernard

You might get some information, or help from one of the two, or perhaps three declared Linux advocates in this NG (I think that's the number who have ID themselves). The most likely sources should be Floyd or sid, perhaps Pablo. The majority here are using a variant of either OSX or WIN, with more mainstream image editing software, including some users of the bundled Canon software (at least one that I know of). Most are using a version of Photoshop (CSx CC or Elements), Lightroom, Aperture, iPhoto, PSP, Nikon's NX, Canon's DPP, or GraphicConvertor. A handful, including Floyd and sid are using ufraw & GIMP. I seriously doubt that even the geekiest of us have any interest in just what Canon does in its cameras, or software to process its RAW files to JPEG. I will say this, you should be seeing a difference, a big difference in the image quality between files produced by your G2 and your 600D. If not, the problem might lie in some peculiarity in your photographic technique, but most importantly I have a feeling your hardline choice of OS is your real problem, and it is distracting you from paying attention to improving your photography.

Floyd might have an answer, but be warned, he is a Nikon shooter.

Good luck with your quest.

-- Regards,

Savageduck