Re: converting raw images f...

Savageduck
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromSavageduck
Date12/02/2013 04:43 (12/01/2013 19:43)
Message-ID<2013120119432477127-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsFloyd L. Davidson
FollowupsTony Cooper (2h & 25m) > Savageduck

On 2013-12-02 02:34:06 +0000, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) said:

Floyd L. Davidson
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2013-12-02 00:33:27 +0000, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) said:

Floyd L. Davidson
A lot of people do some very fine work using each of these different sets of options. This absurd bunch of emotional rants that it can't be done with Linux based solutions is silly when there clearly are people who do work with Linux posting here saying it works fine. It is even more absurd when we realize that better than half the people making those rants have never allowed anyone here to see any useful examples of work they've done.

Savageduck
To keep things straight the following usual suspects have posted original images here (and in some of the other photo groups), using their image processing method of choice:

Floyd L. Davidson
Lets do keep things straight. "Useful examples of work" is not generally speaking what gets posted to this newsgroup, by anyone.

True, but define "useful" and you will find that some images are posted here as a bit of whimsey, some are posted as an example of a particular event or experiment the poster was involved in or shot. Occasionally an image has been posted to demonstrate a particular technique, or to raise a particular query to solve a problem. Sometimes we have even engaged in sharing exercises working on each others original image files. I know you have worked on at least one of my NEF files. So what qualities does an image posted in these photo news groups as "useful"?

Lets see a small body of work as at a minimum. It has to be a sample large enough to show what a person does.

I don't maintain a web site, but I have certainly made a variety of my work available for all to comment on. There are others who have quite comprehensive galleries and web sites . Sandman (Jonas) has his portfolio web site which demonstrates more of his artistry than mere photography. Tony Cooper has made his work on SmugMug available, as has Bret Douglas. Alan Browne has done the same on Panoramio & Photo.net. H. Huntzinger has provided a link to his web gallery. We regularly see the work of Giovanni Mattera. We have even seen Wolfgang Weisselberg's SmugMug gallery, and Richard Anderson's pBase galleries. Not to mention the sailing shots provided by John Navas. BTW: all of the above have shown us a good sampling of their work.

And listing everyone who has ever posted one link to an image here is just obfuscation.

You wanted evidence that they had held a camera, there it is, and most listed have posted more than one link to an image.

The vast majority of those listed are not posting the rants that you are.

Perhaps not, but my posts aren't quite as rantish as you make out.

In your specific case I can't remember if you have any online galleries or not.

I don't, but I have no problem posting a folder of images for a particular event from DropBox and that delivers a simple gallery for the specific folder. < https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lx56l61b7bbj1se/oTLxQlNoue/Shared%20Images/WTF-2012w

I'm aware that you do a decent job of making photography enjoyable. What else is there?

Thank you for that.

Why you have to repeatedly post gratuitous insults is beyond me, though granted that I do see some common threads to them, and no it isn't appropriate to cite what they are or to insinuate that what they indicate is necessarily true.

What you interpret as me repeatedly posting gratuitous insults you would have to substantiate. If I have in some way stepped on your toes and insulted you, I extend my apologies.

But you can absolutely believe that virtually nothing you ever say about anything has any credibility in my camp, just because I've seen so many clear examples that are 1) illogical or 2) abusive, or 3) worst of all both. I might agree with something you say, but in any case where I have nothing but your word to go on, your lack of integrity is all that counts, good photos or otherwise.

I might well be wrong on a particular issue, and I have been able to admit it and accept the lesson learned. I might well have seemed illogical to you, I have not been deliberately abusive unless provoked. However, not all I spew is worthless, and as to your accusation that I lack integrity, that is something else you would need to substantiate. One thing I do possess is a pretty strong code of ethics and integrity regardless of how amateurish my photography might be.

-- Regards,

Savageduck