Re: converting raw images f...

Savageduck
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromSavageduck
Date12/01/2013 22:03 (12/01/2013 13:03)
Message-ID<2013120113030159195-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
Followssid
FollowupsFloyd L. Davidson (1h & 10m)
sid (1h & 30m)
Eric Stevens (4h & 5m) > Savageduck

On 2013-12-01 12:48:35 +0000, sid <sidney@sidshouse.net>said:

sid
Savageduck wrote:

Savageduck
On 2013-11-30 17:04:30 +0000, sid <sidney@sidshouse.net>said:

sid
Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 10:56:47 +0000, sid <sidney@sidshouse.net>wrote:

sid
Savageduck wrote:

Savageduck
but most importantly I have a feeling your hardline choice of OS is your real problem, and it is distracting you from paying attention to improving your photography.

sid
That is just ridiculous, what on earth does his OS have to do with improving his photography? At no point ever has the operating system on my pc affected my ability to chosse what to shoot or how to compose that shot or how to expose it. Is that what I'm doing wrong d'you think?

Tony Cooper
You misread the post.

sid
Um, I don't know why you'd say that. Savadgeduck said using linux would affect his (the op) ability to improve his photography. I said it wouldn't.

Savageduck
I said his choice of OS is a distraction. It is certainly limiting, even though you might not think so.

sid
And I said it wasn't, even though you might think so. There, that's quite straight forward isn't it?

We disagree. Now what?

Tony Cooper
The Duck is saying just the opposite.

sid
I think he's saying the above

Savageduck
You are entitled to think whatever you want.

sid
Absoluteley, as are you and everybody else.

Tony Cooper
He's saying that concentrating too much on the OS choice distracts him from paying more attention to developing his photographic skills

Savageduck
Yup!

sid
The following 2 lines are still the same

But the op isn't concentrating on his OS choice. He's quite comfortable with that and wasn't asking a question about his OS. He asked a question about Canon camera software settings. Savadgeduck managed to answer that with, and I'm paraphrasing here you understand, "either you're a crap photographer or your choice of OS is bad"

Savageduck
Yet he can't find a solution in the world of Linux.

sid
Not that he can't, that he has not yet.

...er, OK.

Savageduck
The advice he has been given is best described as arcane geekery.

sid
Floyd may well have given a geeky reply, some people like to use their computers in that fasion some do not.

None of that is going to do anything to produce a better photograph, or image from a photographic source. ...but Floyd claims that the best photographers would prefer to do things his way.

According to nospam he could work in exactly the same way with osx if he desired. Using the same software and scripts. osx ..... arcane?

OSX isn't arcane, but its UNIX under pinnings certainly are, and those who insist on dealing with their Macs via the Terminal and Command Line input are as geeky, if not geekier than any LINUX user.

Savageduck
...and I understand that both you and Floyd produce images you are quite satisfied with,

sid
Are you implying that you, or others, would not be satisfied with my images?

Not at all.

Savageduck
but the OP is going to still have the same issue, and Canon is not going to provide him with a custom Linux solution.

sid
go figure

Savageduck
What I am saying is, the OP has issues processing the RAW Canon files produced in his 600D. So much so he can't tell the difference between shots taken with his G2 or the 600D. He is instant on his choice of OS, that is OK, it's his choice. However that choice limits him when it comes to solving the post processing issues he has.

sid
It only means he won't be running the same software as you.

Yup!

You seem to think that anyone not making the same choices as you is somehow at a disadvantage. That isn't so.

Not quite. I don't believe that the full version Photoshop is the best choice for all. There are other choices which can fill most needs. However, none of those other offerings are as full featured and as flexible PS. Many come close, and I know you might not accept that GIMP is not one of those. I would use Pixelmator, Acorn, or PSE before adopting GIMP as my full time image editor (and I have it installed on this Mac along with X11 & Terminal).

Savageduck
That has nothing to do with his photographic skills or his selection of subject or camera choice,

sid
So what did you mean when you said

"but most importantly I have a feeling your hardline choice of OS is your real problem, and it is distracting you from paying attention to improving your photography."

I meant what I said. By locking himself out of obvious and accessible solutions, including the one provided by Canon when he bought his 600D, because he refuses to consider the option of another OS, is going to be a distraction. He might be talented at subject selection, he might be a natural at composition, the RAW files he captures in his camera might be the equal of Adams, Steiglitz, Karsh, et al, but he still has a problem, mostly due to his choice of OS. Now we know that that is not going to hinder Floyd is any way, but as Floyd has told us we are not his equal.

Savageduck
but his choice of OS. You and Floyd, and all the other fans of Linux can flag wave all you want,

sid
I don't think you'll find that I've done any flag waving at all, it's not me saying you've made a bad os choice or bad software choices.

You certainly took offense when I suggested that he was not going to find a practical solution by locking himself into LINUX. ...and I pretty much believed that both you and Floyd would react as you did.

Savageduck
but you (& the OP) will always be limited in the state of art graphic editing software tools available to you. GIMP is not an open source equivalent of Photoshop, neither is Aftershot Pro an equivalent of Lightroom or Aperture.

sid
Not using your software choices is not a limiting factor.

In the OP's case it is. He has a problem which could be easily solved by using the software provided with his camera. He doesn't even have to use Photoshop to solve his problem, but he might have to consider an alternative OS to the one he is locked into.

Savageduck
So to fix his issues the OP is going to be jumping through the arcane Linux hoops,

sid
There are no arcane hoops to jump through, clicking icons and moving sliders is the same no matter what os you choose.

There are big differences when it comes to software selection.

Savageduck
when there are much more accessable solutions. I can't help him when it comes to those solutions, and if he insists on rejecting what is available because of an OS, all he is doing is exercising his dabbling in Linux and polishing his geek credentials.

sid
But your solutions are not more accessable to him are they?

No, because of the conditions he has placed on solutions he is prepared to accept. ...and so his problem persists.

Savageduck
Personally I prefer to be able to concentrate on working on my photography, however good or bad it might be. How much improvement it might need, and know that I can do reasonably advanced editing and adjustment post processing using LR5 + PS running on OSX. I certainly don't have a "geek flag" to fly.

sid
So why are you so keen to berate others when they want to do the same thing but with different choices in os to you?

I haven't berated anybody. What I have done is point out that sticking to a non-mainstream OS he is limiting his options for a solution to his problem.

I understand the investment in time and money you have put into osx and adobe software but none of that either makes you a better photographer or makes the op less able to improve his own photagraphy.

Agreed, but I understand what can ease the way to improve his (if it does indeed need improving) and my photography (which is always in need of improvement).

-- Regards,

Savageduck