Re: converting raw images f...

Floyd L. Davidson
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromFloyd L. Davidson
Date12/01/2013 00:29 (11/30/2013 14:29)
Message-ID<8761r9mpsb.fld@apaflo.com>
FollowsSavageduck
FollowupsJ. Clarke (33m) > Floyd L. Davidson
nospam (39m)

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
Tell me that isn't arcane.

Detail and precision might well be arcane. It's also productive and efficient.

Keep in mind that the degree of arcane is proportion to the level of ignorance.

Do you really think that using your favorite RAW converter and editor effectively is any less arcane? Do you really think a beginner can sit down and in an hour be producing the same quality product that they'll be making two months or even two years later *after* they have acquired all of the arcane knowledge it takes to be even partially efficient with it?

Just because *you* don't know how to use a tool effectively doesn't mean the tool is not efficient, it doesn't mean the arcane craft of using the tool is without value.

sid
Clicking an icon is way easier with osx I take it?

Savageduck
Is that supposed to be some sort of OSX put down?

Probably not, but it does seem to be a put down of your absurd assertions that lack logic.

You aren't familiar with OSX, Lightroom, or Photoshop are you? I sure as Hell don't have to jump through the hoops Floyd has set out above.

Oh, you just picked up on effective use of those tools in the first hour you used them eh?

I would suggest that any of them is vastly more arcane, with more hoops in order to get a specific result than the tools that I described. The primary reason for that are the layers of abstraction which have to learned (in depth despite the obfuscation) in order to *really* get results from products designed to make a typical consumer feel less intimidated.

Of course for those who never get to that level of skill, and are indeed satisfied with clicking on icons to see what happens, the effect is less arcane. And lower quality work too.

I have a workflow in Lightroom & Photoshop which might come as a surprise to you, is smooth and efficient, without a thought as to the under pinnings of the OS, I am sure the same is true for those using LR & PS in the Windows environment.

So what. Do you really think using UFRAW and GIMP are any different in that way?

Your logic is absurd in the assumptions you make about what you are ignorant of. What you know is { great | easy | necessary } and what someone else knows or does that you don't is not.

That's religion, and sounds like everybody's definition of perversion: "what you do that I don't."

-- Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/ Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com