Re: converting raw images f...

Floyd L. Davidson
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromFloyd L. Davidson
Date12/02/2013 01:33 (12/01/2013 15:33)
Message-ID<87txeshz1k.fld@apaflo.com>
Followssid
FollowupsSavageduck (1h & 1m) > Floyd L. Davidson

sid <sidney@sidshouse.net>wrote:

sid
Savageduck wrote:

Savageduck
None of that is going to do anything to produce a better photograph, or image from a photographic source.

sid
Well, Floyds photos are fairly universally accepted as being good so I guess that yes, it does work for him.

The bottom line is, well, the bottom line. I am retired, and make virtually no effort at running a photography business, and yet I literally feed myself by doing professional photography and graphic arts.

It does a little better than just works. It works exceedingly well!

Savageduck
...but Floyd claims that the best photographers would prefer to do things his way.

sid
People claim all sorts of things, like any one not using osx or adobe products is deliberately disadvantaging themselves when it comes to improving their photography.

One of the most ridiculous claims amongst those "all sorts" is the above that I say "the best photographers" do what I do. That's trash talk from people who can't logically analyze what they read.

But make no mistake, there are techniques, mechanisms, and methods which I use that are indeed almost universal amongst the best photographers. What they do is not based on any consideration of me or my work. What I do is based very much on determining what are the common threads which tie the best photographers together. But it isn't the specific tools that count, it's the specific results and maybe the generic mechanisms and methods that could produce such results.

I could care less which image editor, OS, raw converter, camera, memory card, tripod or whatever that any given photographer uses. I'm interested in their philosophy regarding all things related to the art of making images. If they use a specific tool to get a specific result, that's wonderful but the specific tool is not the significant part, but rather the question of what is required to get that result.

An example might be that a left handed person would use hand tools designed for a left handed person, and since I am right handed there is no way that I'm going to even try using the same tool. I look at what the tool does for them, and then find a tool that will do the same for me.

Your OS might suit you because you are "left handed". Mine suits me because I'm "right handed".

(And now we'll have 3 people here claim I said all OSX users are left handed. Or Sandman will claim everyone disagreeing with him is left brained... Reading for content doesn't seem to be as common as it should be in discussions here!)

All these people saying their left handed tools are what everyone uses, are the best, are the easiest, are not arcane, and on and on and on are illogical.

Savageduck
...and I pretty much believed that both you and Floyd would react as you did.

sid
What, with sarcasm?

Neither of us jumps up and dumps just because some OS or software we don't use is recommended. But when someone does ask about what we use, yes we do explain it. That can be expected. And it isn't surprising at all that we try to correct the rants that others post.

That's when certain people here start posting gratuitous personal insults, emotional rants, and on and on.

There are no arcane hoops to jump through, clicking icons and moving sliders is the same no matter what os you choose.

Savageduck
There are big differences when it comes to software selection.

sid
What's that got to do with jumping through arcane hoops? There are no arcane linux hoops to jump through.

And in fact, I've never seen any reason to do it, but it should be relatively easy to run just about every bit of the software being suggest on a Linux box using WINE or one of the virtual machine packages.

It certainly isn't done often, and apparently for the same reason that I have never bothered... there's no gain from it.

Savageduck
I haven't berated anybody. What I have done is point out that sticking to a non-mainstream OS he is limiting his options for a solution to his problem.

sid
OK, perhaps rebuke is a better word for it.

His problem is this claim that the OP's choice is limiting while he infers that his choice is not. It just ain't so! Two different sets of options are both restricted from using many of the specific solutions allowed by the other. He won't accept that a different set of personal priorities could possibly make his set of options less useful than what the OP might need.

A lot of people do some very fine work using each of these different sets of options. This absurd bunch of emotional rants that it can't be done with Linux based solutions is silly when there clearly are people who do work with Linux posting here saying it works fine. It is even more absurd when we realize that better than half the people making those rants have never allowed anyone here to see any useful examples of work they've done.

-- Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/ Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com