Re: converting raw images f...

nospam
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
Fromnospam
Date12/03/2013 04:41 (12/02/2013 22:41)
Message-ID<021220132241392865%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsFloyd L. Davidson

In article <87y542g2q0.fld@apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson <floyd@apaflo.com>wrote:

Savageduck
There are several Floyd centric elements to this sub-thread:

Floyd L. Davidson
These are Sandman/nospam/Tony Cooper/Savageduck centric fables for the most part. Other than tacking my name to it, most has very little to do with anything I've ever said. It has more to do with what I *don't* say and you all then imagine.

Savageduck
1. Floyd has knowledge & experience in the technical World in areas few of us could challenge.

2. Floyd has been outspoken on his choice of OS and the tools he uses for image post processing. He holds negative opinions based on misinformation regarding at least one alternative OS, OSX, opinions he has formulated without admitting having ever been exposed to, or having used OSX.

Floyd L. Davidson
"Without admitting" does not mean no exposure. It is hilarious to see the bunch of you claim I made these decisions you worry about by refusing to learn and without ever testing.

what kind of exposure did you have?

because whatever it was, it had to be no more than extremely limited and quite clearly not enough to get even the basics right, so how could you possibly know what it's actual capabilities are??

based on what you wrote, extremely limited would even be a stretch. i'd say none.

maybe you looked at apple's web site for a few minutes and consider that exposure, but nobody else would.

Savageduck
3. Floyd claims he can do all that can be done in Photoshop and ACR using his methods,

Floyd L. Davidson
When you have to fabricate a statement like that it's very telling. Just another of many fabrication on your part...

if that's a fabrication, then you admit photoshop and camera raw can do more.

that's progress!

Savageduck
and yet he remains ignorant of what can actually be achieved with other than his methods, because he has not(or claims he has not) ever made the comparison between his methods and alternative graphics software such as Photoshop.

Floyd L. Davidson
Your conclusion is based on another fabrication. Why do you find it necessary to cook up things I've never said and attribute them to me?

how is it a fabrication, when in this very post you said you've never used photoshop?

and how is it a fabrication when you say nonsensical things about photoshop, indicating that indeed you are ignorant of what can be achieved with it and how easily that can be done?

It should be extremely obvious that I've been comparing what can be done with a variety of software packages for at least the past couple decades.

sure, just not on mac or windows.

What I have said is that I've never owned and do not use the software that you do. Not that I have no idea what it does, and certainly not that I am unable to even get it to work.

how is it you know what the other software does, if you've never used any of it?

heck, i *use* photoshop and i don't even know all that it can do.

what were you saying about fabrication, again?

Savageduck
Even with my strong opinions I have attempted to use and compare GIMP with my other choices. It is Floyd who claims his method is superior to all others, it certainly gets the job done to his satisfaction. I suppose that is all that matters.

Floyd L. Davidson
If you have merely "attempted" to use GIMP, it appears your ability to critique anything about it is invalid based on lack of necessary skills or background. Since some people are quite able to use it at least as well as anything you can do, if you can't even get past an "attempt" then perhaps some other area is where you should expound on your expertise?

another insult - "if you can't use the gimp you must be inept".

i've used the gimp on many occasions, and each time it comes up short. either it's missing functionality entirely or it requires more steps to do the same thing in photoshop.

Savageduck
He has no working knowledge of OSX and bases his biases against it on mythology he has developed. The same applies to his opinion of choices regarding mainstream digital image editing software.

Floyd L. Davidson
Why do you say things like that? How do you know what level of knowledge I might have about OSX, or Windows, or even Linux?

because of the ludicrous and completely incorrect things you've said about os x.

anyone with even a casual familiarity would not have made those statements.

it's quite clear that you have little to no knowledge about os x. you aren't even just a little wrong, but you're way off the wall wrong.

that means you haven't much of a clue about os x or what it can do.

Even more hilarious is applying your fabrication to imaging software.

you've said on many occasions you haven't used photoshop, lightroom or other mac and windows apps, so how is it you obtained the knowledge of what they can do?

the word fabrication comes to mind.

Savageduck
I have no idea if he would get better post processed results using Photoshop over his custom methods, but he has never made that comparison.

Floyd L. Davidson
Purely fabrication on your part.

how could you make the comparison if you've never used it??

if what he said is not a fabrication, then you must have used photoshop to make the comparison, yet in this very post you said you haven't.

therefore, it must be fabrication.

All you know is that I don't use the same tools you do, and you admit I can produce results that are equal to anyone else.

without a proper comparison, there's no way to know.

more importantly, the key here is not that you can or can't do it, but that doing it in the gimp and whatever other tools you use or have concocted is a *lot* more work than with photoshop or other apps, sometimes significantly so if the functionality isn't even in the gimp in the first place.

someone could build a house with a saw and a hammer, but it's not exactly a productive use of their time.

Does that tell you something?

yes, it tells me you're full of shit.

Savageduck
It is quite possible he is the best photographer in Barrow and he is abled to produce work that those around him are in awe of. I doubt that he gets much criticism of his work of any type in Barrow.

Floyd L. Davidson
More abject ignorance. It is also gratuitous and intended to be insulting. Shame on you.

what goes around comes around. you're not exactly the most complimentary.

It demonstrates both a lack of logical ability and a lack of integrity.

the only lack of logic and integrity would be with you.

Savageduck
...and finally Floyd discounts the knowledge & experience that any of the rest of us have (including knowledge that nospam undeniably has) to the point of issuing insults of his own. If you disagree with him you have no credibility, or integrity.

Floyd L. Davidson
Disagreement has nothing to do with it. When you add 2 + 2 and claim the answer is 15...

nobody said anything of the sort.

now, what were you saying about integrity and fabrication?

We have several people here that are just like nospam, they have some technical background and a large exposure, but they lack the ability to logically analyze facts and develop a broad perspective. That is, a 10 degree left turn is just a left turn to them. So is a 40 degree turn and a 90 degree turn.

Some of them can't tell the difference between a left turn and a right turn, every move is just a new turn.

among those, would be someone named floyd.