Re: converting raw images f...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromEric Stevens
Date12/07/2013 04:15 (12/07/2013 16:15)
Message-ID<9o25a9t7rfjeqan1ndjfuo38u55ap02pob@4ax.com>
FollowsSavageduck

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 04:11:32 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2013-12-06 08:14:01 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 09:39:08 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
I would bet that Barney Oldfield would still be able to muscle a car around a track today, just as Louis Chevrolet moved from the race track to manufacturing.

Eric Stevens
They wouldn't be in the same ballpark as Scott Dixon without several years of experience. Then they might be.

Savageduck
You don't know who I am talking about. < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Chevrolet > < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney_Oldfield >

Of course I know who you are talking about!

I also know that what was demanded of them was entirely different from what is required of a top racing driver today. In those days they couldn't even risk a skid for the simple reason that it would destroy the tires. Today, it's all sliding and drifting. Those early cars were heavy and required muscle. They attracted big strong men. Today's drivers tend to be smaller, lighter and very very fit. Aerodynamics plays a big part in modern motor racing. It played almost nothing in the early days.

I am sure that while Frank Lloyd Wright managed more than adequately with a drawing table, he would have very quickly adopted computers and design software to achieve his designs, ...

Eric Stevens
But he couldn't have done a http://www.freakingkid.com/burj-al-arab-worlds-only-seven-star-hotel-in-the-world/

Savageduck
or http://www.luxuryhomes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Marina-Bay-Sands-Hotel-1.jpg or

Eric Stevens
even http://tinyurl.com/k33pc4h

Savageduck
Today he might consider something along those awful lines, but he was able to do this with pencil, pen, ink, and a drawing table in 1937, 76 years ago, and with Wright, the current flock of architects have some mighty footprints to follow in, even though he didn't exactly embrace the vertical.

I'm not talking just about architectural merits, but thewhole task of taking a large and complex design to fruition.

< http://www.newyorkpanorama.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/2010-01-guggenheim-2000.jpg

< http://www.genelowinger.com/data/photos/413_1r110402_003_sep2.jpg >

No one would dream of trying to do those without computers.

In 1936 he incorporated with nature this amazingly livable home, "Fallingwater", all without the assistance of a computer, and which architects have srtuggled to emulate, but their computers fail them. < http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/FallingwaterPathway.jpg >

A very simple elegant building, spoiled only by being plagued with water leakage problems with accompanying mildew and rot.

< http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Fallingwater%2C_also_known_as_the_Edgar_J._Kaufmann%2C_Sr.%2C_residence%2C_Pennsylvania%2C_by_Carol_M._Highsmith.jpg

or < http://tinyurl.com/lagn8kz >

" While Fallingwater was (and is) a monumental architectural achievement, it's not without its near fatal flaws. Critics have blamed Wright for not putting enough time into the house's structural design. Right from the start, the cantilevered balconies sagged dangerously. Kaufmann Sr was so concerned about the house's structure that he hired engineers every year to survey the structure's soundness. Fortunately, in 2002, the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy came to the rescue. The balconies were sufficiently strengthened by a team of engineers.

"While Fallingwater was (and is) a monumental architectural achievement, it's not without its near fatal flaws. Critics have blamed Wright for not putting enough time into the house's structural design. Right from the start, the cantilevered balconies sagged dangerously. Kaufmann Sr was so concerned about the house's structure that he hired engineers every year to survey the structure's soundness. Fortunately, in 2002, the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy came to the rescue. The balconies were sufficiently strengthened by a team of engineers.

Another problem was that the running water under the house had created serious mold problems. Kaufmann Sr frequently referred to it as "Rising Mildew."

And the roof leaked in several places, taking its toll on Wright's interior furnishings.

In 1956, a flash flood caused water to seep inside the house from the terraces and hillside."

... just as I am certain that Adams would be using a digital darkroom today. He was a darkroom geek after all.

Eric Stevens
But that requires an entirely different range of computing skills from the ones we have been discussing.

Savageduck
Perhaps, but it seems appropriate, as what has been argued is a current requirement of computer knowledge, programing, script writing, and competent operation of software in order to deal with things technical. Specifically photography.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens