Re: converting raw images f...

nospam
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
Fromnospam
Date12/04/2013 01:25 (12/03/2013 19:25)
Message-ID<031220131925562225%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsEric Stevens
FollowupsEric Stevens (35m) > nospam

In article <tmrs991u6j1l10srp14ibojds39otivb10@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

Eric Stevens
I was astonished at nospam's narrow view of architects writing apps.

nospam
what narrow view? do you think architects are going to write operating systems now? the vast majority of programmers write apps.

Eric Stevens
I will agree with you if you mean 'apps' in a wider sense than the current common use.

apps is short for applications, a term that goes back many years. they are also called programs, utilities and various other things.

whatever you want to call it, it's not something architects write, nor do they write operating systems (which is harder).

nospam
they might take a programming course to learn the basics, but that's about it. they don't need to know how to program.

Eric Stevens
Most of them won't but some will lap it up and go on to great things.

some might realize there could be more money in writing apps than designing a building.

i know someone who is a doctor and gave up his medical practice to run a web site. he's making far more money than he ever did as a doctor, with a lot less hassle too.

just because there might be the occasional exception doesn't change anything.

Sandman
To some extent, that's quite true. But we're discussion your claim that an architext "have to" understand programming (see above). My claim is that no - the don't "have to" understand the first thing about programming.

Eric Stevens
Are you instead suggesting that the programmer has to understand architecture?

nospam
he does if he's writing an architecture app.

Eric Stevens
And I maintain that if the programmer is writing his app for an architect the architect should be able to understand programming.

what for?

do you think the architect is going to have much to say in a code review? it's not his area of expertise.

he will want to be involved with design of the app, but that's expected. he does *not* need to know how to write it.