Re: converting raw images f...

Alan Browne
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromAlan Browne
Date11/30/2013 17:52 (11/30/2013 11:52)
Message-ID<_e2dnZw-1sd5igfPnZ2dnUVZ_q2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
Followsray carter
Followupssid (23m) > Alan Browne
ray carter (1h & 15m) > Alan Browne
nospam (2h & 56m)

On 2013.11.30, 10:52 , ray carter wrote:

I will say this, you should be seeing a difference, a big difference in the image quality between files produced by your G2 and your 600D. If not, the problem might lie in some peculiarity in your photographic technique, but most importantly I have a feeling your hardline choice of OS is your real problem, and it is distracting you from paying attention to improving your photography.

ray carter
There is much more that goes into the selection of an OS, at least for most of us, than the impact of one application.

I have proudly used Linux exclusively for over a decade - I've yet to find anything important to me that I can't do with it and in the process, I've saved thousands of dollars.

Meanwhile in the professional world of graphics design, including photographic editing, the "creatives" choice remains OS X coupled to application suites from Adobe and others.

Linux "market share" for desktop continues its decline as OS X rises (Macs being more affordable than ever has a lot to do with that...).

In desktop use, as of 2013 OS X stands at about 6.5% (up from a few percent at the start of the intel switch) and Linux has declined to 1.6% from a high of around 2.5% or so.

Linux remains a strong choice for servers, embedded systems and so on - but it's pretty lame for desktop since the major productivity apps are not produced for it (bandaids like WINE are a PITA). There are narrow cases like thin clients for data entry and the like.

(Hmm - it's been a few years, maybe time to install it again for a look at the latest. Is Ubuntu still the best general purpose choice?).

-- "The radio was once expected to promote international understanding and co-operation; it has turned out to be a means of insulating one nation from another." -George Orwell, 1945