Re: converting raw images f...

Floyd L. Davidson
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromFloyd L. Davidson
Date12/02/2013 04:33 (12/01/2013 18:33)
Message-ID<87iov8gc4a.fld@apaflo.com>
Followsnospam
Followupsnospam (1h & 5m)

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>wrote:

nospam
In article <2013120118400784958-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

bd
convert image1.tif -depth 8 -type truecolor -density 300 -units pixelsperinch newimage1.tif

Floyd L. Davidson
If that works, try it again without the "-density 300 -units pixelsperinch" options.

nospam
didn't someone say there were no hoops to jump through??

sure looks like hoops to me.

Floyd L. Davidson
Incidentally, all of that works exactly the same way on an OSX or MS-WINDOWS machine.

Savageduck
Not on my OSX machine it doesn't. I import RAW files (NEF, CR2, & RAF) into Lightroom or open in ACR without jumping through a single hoop. Admittedly I have set up my LR import & file handling preferences. Images adjusted non-destructively in LR and can be exported in your format of choice. If taken into Photoshop the resulting image can be saved in your format of choice. Not a hoop in sight.

nospam
there's nothing to set up to support tif in lightroom or photoshop.

We were not talking about Lightroom or Photoshop.

as you say, it 'just works'.

And other things don't.

on a mac, tif, jpeg and many other image formats, are native, just like text and pdf. that means even the simplest app can support just about anything.

Which is true on Linux systems too.

But all of them have apps that do not necessarily support every possible configuration of every possible standard format. Have you ever looked at what a TIFF formatted file can be? I guarantee that I can write more than a couple of "standard TIFF" files that you'll play Hell finding anything to read!

Just for grins I tried google to see what PhotoShop does support, and couldn't really find an exact list quickly. What I find was a tutorial that said it supports 25 different file formats.

So I counted how many GIMP suppors. 36.

-- Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/ Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com

nospam (1h & 5m)