Re: converting raw images f...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromEric Stevens
Date11/30/2013 22:55 (12/01/2013 10:55)
Message-ID<s8nk99lk4j04t8k5r52l0enqc5egc0172e@4ax.com>
FollowsSavageduck
FollowupsSavageduck (27m) > Eric Stevens
nospam (2h & 13m)
PeterN (6h & 18m) > Eric Stevens

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 12:25:36 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2013-11-30 17:28:31 +0000, sid <sidney@sidshouse.net>said:

sid
Savageduck wrote:

Savageduck
On 2013-11-30 15:20:07 +0000, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>said:

Tony Cooper
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:21:05 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2013-11-30 02:45:26 +0000, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) said:

Floyd L. Davidson
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
[...] most importantly I have a feeling your hardline choice of OS is your real problem, and it is distracting you from paying attention to improving your photography.

...and having to think about how to maneuver around the arcane mechanics of an OS to process digital images rather than the mechanics of the style and subjects of our photography is an impediment & distraction.

sid
What "archane mechanics" do you suppose one has to maneuver inorder to process images.

Savageduck
I refer you to Floyd's response providing what can best be describes as "arcane":

To be found in: From: floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 17:30:23 -0900 Message-ID: <87bo12pqo0.fld@apaflo.com>

"Note that UFRAW is a lot more than and "interface" using DCRAW. It uses DCRAW as the basic converter engine, but has it's own processing for many other of the enhancement tools you need.

--- very long snip ---

Also be aware that with Linux if you become proficient at writing shell scripts there is just no end of ways to improve productivity. The ImageMagick tools are fabulous for editing. And there are many ways a shell script can speed up your workflow. For example, I preview my images, as JPEGs, with a very customized version of XV which can sort them into various directories. The JPEG images I don't want to convert with UFRAW go into one special directory, and then a shell script moves the RAW files to the same directories where the JPEG is now at. Then I run UFRAW and it never loads a file I don't want to process. Plus when I want to run the batch on all of them, I use a script that does odd things like automatically setting wavelet noise reduction depending on the ISO it was shot at, and it determines how many CPU cores are available and proceeds to keep each CPU busy with a different process (which with as many as 12 cores can make a huge difference in how fast a few hundred RAW files can be converted to TIFF files)."

Tell me that isn't arcane.

What Lloyd has described is the setup and configuration he uses for his process. It seem s hell of a long and convoluted but it's no worse than the process I'm still going through for setting up LR5. If I've understood him correctly it will be no more difficult for Lloyd to run than LR5 will be for me once I've got it all sorted out.

sid
Clicking an icon is way easier with osx I take it?

Savageduck
Is that supposed to be some sort of OSX put down?

You aren't familiar with OSX, Lightroom, or Photoshop are you? I sure as Hell don't have to jump through the hoops Floyd has set out above.

You have probably already done it but using configuration windows and menus etc. Lloyd uses a script.

I have a workflow in Lightroom & Photoshop which might come as a surprise to you, is smooth and efficient, without a thought as to the under pinnings of the OS, I am sure the same is true for those using LR & PS in the Windows environment. < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_422.jpg > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_423.jpg >

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens