Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
FromTony Cooper
Date07/26/2014 21:06 (07/26/2014 15:06)
Message-ID<9sn7t9tv6nvtvl8vb3gmn62mht56tqffa4@4ax.com>
Followsnospam
Followupsnospam (1d, 1h & 33m)

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:07:55 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

nospam
In article <fvq6t91u9paaqc5vv75ssvodtq5hhc7oft@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

Sandman
You apply the red and black clamps to the battery. You don't "apply" the USB charger from Apple to the battery, you connect it to a Lightning port.

You're welcome.

Tony Cooper
Apply? The word most of us would use would be "connect". You "connect" the red and black clamps to the automobile battery posts, and you connect the Apple cable to the iPhone's charging port. Same thing. Others would use "attach" in both cases.

"Apply", though? Who uses that for connecting or attaching a battery cable? Only someone trying to weasel out of being caught out making another blunder.

nospam
nothing but word games.

Tony Cooper
This is a text format in which words are used. You scream like a baby with a loaded diaper when someone uses what you consider to be the wrong word for a device. Yet, when someone uses the wrong word to describe that act of attaching something to a device, you claim it's word games.

nospam
you're describing yourself. you nitpick every word, even citing dictionary definitions.

attach, apply, connect, plug in or whatever else makes no difference and you know it. you're just arguing just to argue, as usual.

it's obvious what is meant when he said apply the red and black clamps to the battery.

the problem is that entirely misses the point. you *still* don't understand the difference between a charger and a power supply, and there is definitely a difference. all you can do is argue over word usage.

Eric Stevens
But isn't this exactly what you are doing? Arguing about the difference between a charger and a power supply?

nospam
because there *is* a difference between a charger and power supply and choosing the wrong one can potentially damage a device or worse, cause a fire or explosion.

there is no real difference between 'apply' versus 'connect'. choosing one word over the other doesn't matter and the meaning is easy to determine based on context anyway. all he's doing is arguing over meaningless things.

Of course there is a difference. If someone tells another person to "apply the charger cable" to a car battery, it would not be at all understandable. If, instead, the instructions were to "attach the charger cable" or "connect the charger cable", it would be perfectly clear. The instructions, of course, should include which clamp goes to which post.

In the case of an iPhone, instructions to "connect the charger cable to the iPhone" or "connect the power supply cable to the iPhone" would both be understandable. The iPhone comes with an external device and a cable. The person getting the instructions doesn't care what you call that device, but does want to know how to charge the phone's battery and that that device and cable accomplish this. There's only one device that comes with an iPhone that could be meant. No one is going to mistake the ear bud for what is called for.

Of course, with Apple, the term is going to be "adapter" anyway.

Your contention that there is a difference between a charger and a power supply is true, but not a pertinent observation. When the discussion is about an iPhone - which it has been - anyone who doesn't know the difference isn't going to have both around. Anyone who has both around would know the difference.

In most cases, connectable devices have connections that only fit certain products. I've got a power supply for an external drive, but there's no way in hell that I could connect it to an iPhone. I've got a charger for my Nikon batteries, but that is not connectable to my iPhone.

To jerry-rig a cable that would connect either to my iPhone would require parts and skills that I don't have and don't need.

You argue with everything, but some of your arguments - like this one - are so far-fetched that they don't rise to the level of being taken seriously.

You claim I nit-pick over words, but you nit-pick by bringing scenarios that don't exist like creating a fire or explosion by connecting the wrong device to an iPhone.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

nospam (1d, 1h & 33m)