Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
FromTony Cooper
Date07/12/2014 17:22 (07/12/2014 11:22)
Message-ID<i3k2s95haea848hci19olutjlsegdjlaam@4ax.com>
FollowsMayayana

On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 10:13:32 -0400, "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>wrote:

Mayayana
| >It's obviously a fad. That's not in question. Whether | >cloud is an improvement or not, and whether it's a good plan for | >companies, is a hot topic. | | I thought a "fad" was something that was temporary and a lot of people | hyped when it wasn't as great as they thought. | | I.e. I only thought "fad" could be applied to something that has passed, | and not something that is currently being acclaimed by lots of people. |

Fad. Fashion. Craze. I think you're right about the definition, but it doesn't have to be past. It's just that people in the heat of the craze (I'm not naming names, but nospam :) don't see it as a fad when it's happening.

I don't see that the fad has to be connected to the result. In other words, hula hoops were a fad in the 60s and midi dresses were a fad in the 80s. PCs were a fad in 2000. None of them are gone now. None of them were entirely pointless. They're just not current fads now.

Hula hoops are a fad again. When the first came out, they were for children. Now, they are an exercise device for adults, mostly for weight loss. In some places you'll see groups of people, mostly women, hula hooping to music in an effort to slim down.

The essence of calling something a fad is the sudden popularity of it and the expectation that the popularity will decline at some point It doesn't always work that way because some fads never do decline in popularity. Well, "never" as in "not for a long time".

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL