Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

Mayayana
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
FromMayayana
Date07/13/2014 16:38 (07/13/2014 10:38)
Message-ID<lpu5fl$8oe$1@dont-email.me>
Followsnospam
Followupsnospam (1h & 2m)

| >to choose. I asked the cheapest prices for each. $2,200 for | >the Mac. $500 for the eMachines. | | is price all that matters to you? |

Only an AppleSeed could ask such a silly question. The Mac was more than 4 times more expensive. Actually, the first computer I used was a Mac. My neighbor at the time let me onto his AOL account. At that time everyone was talking about the Internet and getting email. I wanted to see what it was all about. I used the Mac for several months just to go online.

At the time -- 1998 -- Macs still had better displays. But I wasn't working as a graphic artist. I didn't even have any idea what the difference was between the two. So spending an extra $1,700 for the Mac would have needed to give me more than just better display; like maybe a free car or a washer/dryer/frig combo.

In the end I was glad of my choice. I'm a tinkerer and Windows is great for tinkering. I can write my own software fairly easily on Windows. I can build my own computers. Apple has always held a tight rein on both hardware and software development. As Lord Jobs put it so succinctly to his spaceship/office architect in telling him he didn't want any windows that open, Jobs "had never liked the idea of people being able to open things. 'That would just allow people to screw things up.' "

http://gladwell.com/the-tweaker/

I love that quote. It's the Steve Jobs arrogance, control compulsion and design insight all in one sentence.

| | >Somewhere around that time, I don't remember when, MS | >actually bailed out Apple, just to keep the appearance of | >competition. | | microsoft has never bailed out apple. that is a *myth*. | | what *actually* happened was that microsoft stole apple's code for | quicktime. | | apple and microsoft both knew it, so instead of going to court and | losing, microsoft settled out of court and part of the settlement was a | $150 million stock purchase and cross-licensing patents and other | intellectual property.

The facts online don't support your claim. As usual, you don't provide any corroboration for your claims. Anyone who cares to look into it can search for: microsoft bailed out apple

The first few links I got were CNN, Wired, etc. They offered a number of explanations for the deal, but I didn't see anything about QuickTime. Apple did agree, as part of the deal, to drop a suit over GUI but it was commonly known that Apple was desperate for money at the time.

nospam (1h & 2m)