Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

nospam
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
Fromnospam
Date07/25/2014 02:29 (07/24/2014 20:29)
Message-ID<240720142029331930%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsEric Stevens
FollowupsEric Stevens (2h & 27m) > nospam

In article <5j63t9hjobngt8qibuq7h2rj94qtjmmtam@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

Tony Cooper
Where do you put the batteries into this one?

http://www.elec-intro.com/EX/05-15-02/Battery_Charger.jpg

Is that not absolutely a battery charger and correctly called a battery charger?

nospam
have you never seen a car battery charger?

certainly you don't think you have to remove a car battery from the vehicle every time you want to charge it.

you attach it via the two clips on the end of the cables.

Eric Stevens
It's just like my iPad! I don't have to take the battery out of the iPad to charge it either.

it's nothing at all like the ipad because the charging circuitry is in the ipad and there is no charging circuitry on a car battery.

there is a charging system for when the car is running, driven by the alternator, but that is not used when you connect a car battery charger.

car battery chargers have the charging circuitry in the charger and can work with the battery disconnected (which is sometimes recommended for some of the crappier chargers).

But it's better organised than a car bettery in that it has a socket on the end where I can plug the charger in. I guess somebody must have thought about it.

some car chargers come with such a socket to be permanently attached to the vehicle.

nospam
battery chargers may also be constant current (versus constant voltage in a power supply), depending on the type of battery it's designed to charge and they almost always have end of charge detection, typically ndv or temperature but can be a simple timer in cheaper chargers.

Eric Stevens
Those are cheap chargers. A good one should monitor the bulk charge time to determine the length of the absorption cycle before reducing output voltage for the float cycle.

timer based are cheap. ndv/temp are not.

Eric Stevens (2h & 27m) > nospam