Message-ID<slrnlsk4av.ah0.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsWhisky-dave

In article <45fe0c49-9975-489e-886a-7b18a7de34ad@googlegroups.com>, Whisky-dave wrote:

Whisky-dave
His data was lost.

Sandman
No, he had backup.

Whisky-dave
once he knew it was lost he could recover it

Sandman
It wasn't lost, he had backup.

Whisky-dave
How many backups.

Irreelevant, one is enough.

yuo don;t know you've lost data until it's not there.

Sandman
Not sure what this is even supposed to mean.

Whisky-dave
http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/hazards-of-the-cloud-data-storage-services-crash-sets-back-researchers/52571

So you don't know either.

You have to know you're datas lost before you get it from a backup.

Sandman
A requirement to restore data from a backup is not knowledge about another copy of it being lost.

Whisky-dave
Then why would you access the backup ? or perhaps it;'s an archive IF you know the duffernce that is.

I don't know the duffernce.

Which hopefully actually exists and can be recovered.

Sandman
It did, and could.

Whisky-dave
not everyone can it appears

The discussion was about Peter, not everone.

but then you don;t have as much expeinece of this as I do.

Most ironic statement you've ever written.

We've had whole servers go down and no been able to recover from a backup.

Sandman
So you didn't have backup. That's stupid, and I hope smarter people are in charge since then.

Whisky-dave
They thouht they had a backup but it was useless as the discs had crashed.

I.e. there was no backup.

The automated backup hadn't happened because of a power failure that crashed the drives.

I.e. there was no backup.

A backup is useless unbless you know you can get the data back.

Sandman
A backup isn't a backup unless it provides data to be brought back from it.

Whisky-dave
it's why it's called a backup. Because in theory you can get back up and running.

So there are no useless backups.

Sandman
Ah, so if you drop your keys and they fall under the sofa, and you have a back problem, the keys are lost, ey?

Whisky-dave
yes

Sandman
That's idiotic. Just because you can't reach them under the sofa, that doesn't mean they're lost. They're still right there under your nose.

Whisky-dave
they can't be under your nose unless your nose is down the back of the sofa. The word lost is from teh individuals perception that's what lost means.

Sandman
And according to you, something you can not reach is lost. That's a pretty idiotic standpoint.

Whisky-dave
Any fool can find a 1 or a 0 getting them in teh right order is the tricky part.

My irrelevancy meter just peeked.

If you know the keys are there then they aren't consoidered lost

Sandman
You just contradicted yourself. In the scenario, you saw the keys fall under the sofa. You knew perfectly well where they were.

Whisky-dave
but they are useless to you, or about as much use as a hassleblad on the moon.

No, the keys aren't useless to you. They lock and open your front door. Very useful.

cheers that, proves data can be lost otherwise such aservice wouldn't exist.

Sandman
So, the existence of a company that prides themselves in being able to recover data from pretty much any data media known to mankind is proof that data can be lost?

Whisky-dave
Yes.

Sandman
Your logic chip is damaged.

Whisky-dave
No shit sherlock.

No shit indeed. You should get it fixed so that you're able to construct logical statements.

If someone can..... yes some people can get some data back.

Sandman
These people can get most data back. Not some data. Most data.

Whisky-dave
So some data can be lost, people have lost data that is a fact and lost data that they thought or assumed was backed up.

But the data on Peter's phone, which is what the discussionw as about, could have been retrieved.

That is the reason why you should have more than one backup set. Although I guess if you bel;eive that one backup is enough because a backup will always enable you to get yuor data back that's fine by me.

I'll contiue with my at least 2 complete sets and multiple sets for more important stuff.

I'm not interested in any way about your backup policies.

-- Sandman[.net]