Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

Whisky-dave
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
FromWhisky-dave
Date07/24/2014 13:15 (07/24/2014 04:15)
Message-ID<f2add51d-aa9e-4091-9f1c-defbab87ff53@googlegroups.com>
FollowsTony Cooper

On Thursday, 24 July 2014 06:27:24 UTC+1, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
If I Google "Apple power supply", I get: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC461LL/A/apple-60w-magsafe-power-adapter-for-macbook-and-13-inch-macbook-pro where it shows an "Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter"

Yes and the vast majority of charges also have built in adapters.

yesterday I told a studetn he wasn't allowed to use the adapter he was using to power/charge his laptop and to stop using it. he asked what's wrong with my power suply I said nothing it;'s the 2 pin to 3 pin (UK) adapter you're using they college 'expert's have said they will not allow them due to H&S'.

If I Google "Apple iPhone Power Supply", I get http://store.apple.com/us/iphone/iphone-accessories/power#! where it shows Apple charging devices called "power adapters".

Well they adpated 230V ac to 5V or so DC depending on the adapter. Of course they are current adapters and voltage adapters as really they adapt voltage rather than currrent or power.

So, I have to conclude - based on your expert advice - that in the "real world" that people actually use "adapter" to describe the device. Not "power supply".

Peole use whatever that have been brought up with, on the mac cube and soem other devices they are called power bricks. Terms can be interchangable.

Presently I use multiple terms depending on the items and their use.

If I have a device that has a IEC connector on one end then a black box which contains the circutry for changing the voltage(S) and at the other end is a connector I call those power bricks.

if the have Pins that directly connect to the 'mains' I call them plug-in power supplies.

Those devices that adapt connectors from one type to another I call adapters. an adapter can be from a magsafe to a car cigarette lighter. I would NOT call these power adapters or power supplies.

I don't seem to be able to Google "Apple power supply"

Well no suprise there, Apples don't need power, they need water and sunshine and then when ready they fall to the ground, you pick then up ferment them and turn them into wine.