Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

nospam
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
Fromnospam
Date07/25/2014 21:20 (07/25/2014 15:20)
Message-ID<250720141520434070%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsWhisky-dave
FollowupsWhisky-dave (3d, 15h & 13m) > nospam

In article <40329815-ff18-4025-b57c-947c76b34a17@googlegroups.com>, Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>wrote:

Whisky-dave
I assume you agree that you should still back then up and that it doesn't have to be to SSD.

using ssd does not mean no backups.

I doubt the cloud is entirley made up of SSDs, there's a reason for that.

ssd would be a waste for the cloud, as any speed advantage would be wasted.

I'm really not sure which would be the most *relible* a SSD of around 512Gb or spending that amount of cash on 512Gb HDDs and keeping clones as backups.

The good SSDs have similar life spans to HDDs.

actually much better than hd.

they aren't quite as good with updating data in small files especailly as the disk becomes full, SSDs can't overwrite existing data,

of course it can.

copy new files to it and whatever was there before is overwritten.

it's that simple.

what it does is when needed it has to erase data before writng the changes, it has to copy the file to another location first.

so what? that's done internally and transparent to the host.

Although I wouldn;t say it a major problme for most unless they fill thier SSD. Hopefully the new FRAM SSDs will overcome is.

it's not a problem at all.

SSD certainly win out on speed, noise levels, power for the majority.

true.

Re-writables then to home burnt ones because they refelct less laser light than commerial CD/DVDs as they have a refective coating added. Could be iimportent if you back-up to such media.

it's a non-issue, since all optical drives made in the last 20 years or so can read writeable discs.

nospam
however, dropping or improper handling can scratch it but that doesn't usually matter much since the data is below the surface and any scratches make very little difference unless they're fairly big. a little scuffing is not going to cause data loss.

Whisky-dave
depends on the direction of the scuff also.

no

And you claimed data couldn't be lost if you had a backup, but that's

another point.

nospam
if you have a backup, you can't lose anything unless every backup fails at the same time which is *extremely* unlikely.

Whisky-dave
How would you know you needed to acess the backup ?

nospam
if you lost data on the main drive.

Whisky-dave
You have to know it's lost first.

duh.

I've never lost my house keys, but I;ve needed to use my duplcate set. My keys were inside the house, but I needed my backup.

irrelevant comparison.

I'm sure we've all lost something and had someone tells us no you left you're lens cap here or I picked up your lighter, it was on teh floor sort of thing.

you don't leave your data on the couch.

If a file can't be found does that mean it's moved or deleted.

nospam
who cares why.

Whisky-dave
it does to backup software.

no it doesn't.

nospam
if it can't be found, it's lost.

Whisky-dave
Maybe it can be resued but only opened as a RTF or texfile. perhaps only the data fork is found and not the resourse fork. Or perhasp on the PC a .doc has been change to a .jpg

who cares.

if there's *any* problem with the original, you get a backup copy.

I know when you 'move' a file on a Mac it doesn;t actually move anywhere, it might lok as though it's moved but it hasn;t in the real world it still occupies exactly the same area of disc as it did, the files data hasn't moved.

nospam
irrelevant, and only on the same volume anyway.

Whisky-dave
It's the term we use, we might see and think that the file has moved but teh data is still in exactly the same space on disc as it was before we moved it.

With teh word LOST in computer terms it measn it's not where it expects the file to be.

lost means the data is gone.

why does not matter, except to prevent it from happening in the future.

If we leave the car keys on the seat of teh car after locking we don;t see the keys as lost even though they aren't where they should be, such as in the hand or pocket.

We need to be aware of the ways the usage and terms change.

you especially, since you don't use them properly.

Even when you delete a file all that happens is that data is changed no data is lost useful information might derived from the file.

nospam
if you delete a file, it's gone.

Whisky-dave
No it's not, all that happens is the start and end locations amonst others of the file are 'zeroed out' for the want of a better word , thats how some recovery programs work.

actually what happens is the directory entry is changed.

the file data itself is still there, but none of that matters. as far as the user is concerned, the file is gone and they need to get a backup copy.

a recovery app can get at the old data, assuming it hasn't been overwritten by *another* file, which it often is by the time the user realizes the file is gone, but why bother with all that when you can easily pull the file off a backup.

Whisky-dave (3d, 15h & 13m) > nospam