Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
FromTony Cooper
Date07/17/2014 18:01 (07/17/2014 12:01)
Message-ID<d3sfs91gnnbeble7j4g9fc4jda8mpaook3@4ax.com>
FollowsPeterN
FollowupsSandman (14h & 38m)

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 10:48:00 -0400, PeterN <peter.newnospam@verizon.net>wrote:

PeterN
On 7/17/2014 3:22 AM, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
In article <lq6fes0219n@news6.newsguy.com>, PeterN wrote:

PeterN
And just where did I used the word "removed." Do learn to read.

nospam
you said "selectively take comments out of context".

the entire post was quoted (again) and nothing was removed at all, therefore nothing could be taken out of context.

do learn to read.

PeterN
Do look up what the phrase: "taken out of context,: means. You will quickly see that it does not mean anything was removed.

Sandman
Ehm, if something is taken *out* of context, then the context need to be missing, right? Looking it up, as per your request, I find this:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_quoting_out_of_context>

Which, in short says it means:

"The practice of quoting out of context, sometimes referred to as "contextomy", is a logical fallacy and a type of false attribution in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning"

So, according to this explanation, it surely means you have to remove something in order to take something out of context. Which incidentally is exactly how I have used the phrase all these years. And by logic, it's the only thing it *can* mean, seeing how it couldn't be taken out of context if the context is still right there. :)

PeterN
Then you have been using the expression incorrectly. In American usage the term also means ignoring ignoring the words that explain what is intended. While Wikipedia can be helpful, it is not peer reviewed and therefore is not considered authoritative. See Tony Cooper's explanation.

It's not just American usage. The expression should mean the same thing to anyone using it...in any country.

The Wikipedia article is accurate as far as it goes. The contributors to the article just never considered that anyone would think that the original statement being present or not present where a quote out of context is made needed to be discussed. I am somewhat amazed that Jonas does.

It doesn't make any difference at all if the original statement is present or not to have a quote out of context. What makes a difference is if the statement that is the quote out of context omits some context that changes the meaning of how the quote out of context is used.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman (14h & 38m)