Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

nospam
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
Fromnospam
Date07/14/2014 01:27 (07/13/2014 19:27)
Message-ID<130720141927530944%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsMayayana

In article <lpv22j$ita$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>wrote:

Mayayana
| >That's an interesting point. There may be some value | >in encryption, and some companies -- like Google and MS -- | >have been going through the motions of setting that up. | | Why do they have to set it up? Encrypting files is no big deal. | There's freeware that does a fine job of it. |

There are different uses of encryption. I think I remember reading that Google and MS were encrypting their webmail.

it's encrypted in transit.

Some email is encrypted. Some is not. Some is optional. The main role of that is just to protect the content from sniffing or man-in-the-middle attacks as it goes between servers. That won't stop big companies from handing over your data to the NSA or to their business partners.

yes, but the user can still encrypt the contents.

If you want to *really* encrypt email it needs to be dealt with on both ends.

yes and nothing is stopping anyone from doing that.

It sounds like what you're talking about is encryption for files on Dropbox. Yes, you can use something like PGP on those. All I'm saying is that encryption is not a total solution to the problem of someone else holding your files in cloud services.

unless you encrypt it with a really weak passphrase, it's safe.