Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
FromTony Cooper
Date07/25/2014 19:18 (07/25/2014 13:18)
Message-ID<mp35t9h44k0sc73uqfrvgde61s6s8csonu@4ax.com>
Followsnospam
Followupsnospam (2h & 1m) > Tony Cooper

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:20:17 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

nospam
In article <0e51t9dmutv8n0n2u4fe5mnc3d96v5m07n@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>wrote:

which means that common usage is that power supply means the box that plugs into the wall.

Tony Cooper
No, it doesn't. It means that Google's algorithm picked up on the words "iPhone" and "power" and found the nearest probable inclusion of those words in a term. It has nothing - nothing - to do with "common usage".

nospam
nope. it means that google knows what was meant by a given search term based on what people actually use in the real world, not your little world.

google uses a lot of smarts to give you the results you want and they have a *lot* of employees whose sole job is to tweak things for common usage, slang, spelling errors, etc. to do exactly that.

google does that for a lot of search terms.

Tony Cooper
OK...you're on record for saying that Google "knows" things and redirects to "whatever people actually use in the real world".

nospam
they do.

Tony Cooper
If I Google "Apple power supply", I get:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC461LL/A/apple-60w-magsafe-power-adapter-fo r-macbook-and-13-inch-macbook-pro

where it shows an "Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter"

If I Google "Apple iPhone Power Supply", I get http://store.apple.com/us/iphone/iphone-accessories/power#! where it shows Apple charging devices called "power adapters".

So, I have to conclude - based on your expert advice - that in the "real world" that people actually use "adapter" to describe the device. Not "power supply".

nospam
wrong conclusion.

what your test above shows is that google considers 'power supply' and 'power adapter' to be equivalent in meaning, which is exactly what i've been saying.

Google does not "consider" anything. Google is not sentient. It matches search terms to results as a result of an algorithm. What it's doing is matching a search term with what you could mean with, in this case, "Apple iPhone Power" being enough to match it to "Apple Power Adapter". It finds no results for "power supply" in that context, so it reverts to associations where there are results.

Tony Cooper
I don't seem to be able to Google "Apple power supply" and find anything called a "power supply". I guess Google does "know" things.

nospam
that just shows that apple calls it a power adapter.

That should be enough for you since a) iPhones are Apple products, and b) whatever Apple says is usually gospel for you.

the fact that a search for power supply gives you apple's pages show that the terms are interchangeable and that power supply is a valid name for it, something you refuse to admit even though you proved it yourself.

To use one of your favorite moans, I don't refuse to admit that "power supply" is a valid term for the power adapter. What I say is that it's not a term that anyone uses for this device. I've gone along with the idea that there are several terms that *could* be used, but *could be use* is not the same as "is used". -- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

nospam (2h & 1m) > Tony Cooper