Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

Sandman
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
Message-ID<slrnls29ub.25d.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <d6u1s9dgadb0c0njvd1j43g5nomfpu8pkb@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens
Which rock have you been sleeping under?

nospam
none.

what you've shown above is that it's vital to have backups.

Eric Stevens
I T I S V I T A L T O H A V E B A C K U P S B E C A U S E T H E C L O U D C A N L O S E D A T A which is contrary to your statement "a cloud outage might be annoying, but the data won't be lost".

It isn't contrary.

Say you have a thousand photos on your hard drive. Say you back them up to the cloud. Then the cloud service dies. Result: no data lost.

You would then immediately create a new backup, maybe at another cloud service, or on an external hard drive. Voila - backup again.

If you backup to an external drive *AND* the cloud simultaenously you always have a three-point failsafe, and the likelyhood of you loosing any data is extremely small.

nospam
*any* system can crash, whether it's the cloud or a local hard drive. the question is when, not if.

Eric Stevens
So now you are beginning to recognise that.

What about all those people who have been lured by the promise of 'backup in the cloud'?

Data is lost when the backup AND the source fails. At the same time.

nospam
in the event something fails, you replace the failed component or wait for the cloud service to do it and restore from a backup if needed.

nothing is lost. it's just an annoyance.

Eric Stevens
You are oblivious to facts. There are many examples of data being lost in cloud storage.

Backup of data being lost is not the same as data being lost.

-- Sandman[.net]