Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

Sandman
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
Message-ID<slrnlsmqmn.gah.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsPeterN

In article <lqej5t0md8@news4.newsguy.com>, PeterN wrote:

PeterN
All agreed.

My comment was made in response to a statement that the iPhone has no moving parts. It obviously does.

Sandman
It sure does. But it has no moving parts that affect its ability to lose data, which was the subject.

PeterN
If the on/off switch stopped working I could not easily access the data.

Why not? What data is lost?

Forgetting backup, if data cannot reasonably be accessed, it is lost.

That doesn't make much sense, especially considering that someone need to quantify that "reasonably" in some way. What is reasonably? If you forget the PIN code on your credit card, then you can't reasonably access your money when in line at Walmart. Are your money lost?

The only data on my phone is basically my contact list. While my contact list can be reconstructed, it is not easily accessible on my phone.

But it is accessible. Nothing is lost. Your line of thinking has no real limits. Your scenario concerned a broken power switch which made it "unreasonably" hard to access the data. Imagine that the power switch works fine and you want to look at your contact list but you forgot your phone at a friends house down the street. Since you've gone to bed, it's not like you're going to walk over there to fetch your phone. According to your logic, the data on your phone is now lost. In both circumstances, the data is as inaccessible to you, but data being inaccessible is not the same as data being lost.

Sandman
Your supposed "internal switch" is not a moving part.

PeterN
Can't say.

I can, and am, saying it.

-- Sandman[.net]