Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
FromEric Stevens
Date07/14/2014 00:19 (07/14/2014 10:19)
Message-ID<3r06s916u3pulf9ah0ukarkdqn9erm44pv@4ax.com>
Followsnospam
Followupsnospam (1h & 8m) > Eric Stevens
Whisky-dave (12h & 9m) > Eric Stevens

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 11:40:22 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

nospam
In article <ph14s91i0qbdvvjv0m7sko8m4lb9dj70r7@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

what you've shown above is that it's vital to have backups.

Eric Stevens
I T I S V I T A L T O H A V E B A C K U P S B E C A U S E T H E C L O U D C A N L O S E D A T A which is contrary to your statement "a cloud outage might be annoying, but the data won't be lost".

nospam
anything can lose data. the cloud is no different.

Eric Stevens
What you are doing is a form of lying. You made a statement and I have shown that you were quite quite wrong. So what did you do?

nospam
i'm not lying at all. the cloud service can fail all it wants. it makes no difference to the user because the user has a copy on their main hard drive and backup copies.

The point under discussion was not whether or not people should have backups for data held in cloud storage but whether or not cloud storage can lose data.

"a cloud outage might be annoying, but the data won't be lost".

I gave examples of where cloud outages and other problems _have_ resulted in the loss of data _from_the_cloud_storage_.

The chance that data will be lost from the cloud is why people should not rely solely on the cloud for storage or even backup.

I agree that sensible people will have their data backed up externally to the cloud but there are plenty of people with smartphones and the like who think their data (mainly images) is safely backed up to the cloud and who have no other backup copy of much of it.

the *only* way to lose data on a cloud service is if you upload data to it and then delete it everywhere else. only an idiot would do that and then expect it to be immune to problems.

the *exact* same thing applies to hard drives and even paper. if your house burns down, any paper receipts, contracts, wills, etc., are *gone* and even if you had a copy that might not matter because many times the original is required.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens