Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

Whisky-dave
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
FromWhisky-dave
Date07/11/2014 17:12 (07/11/2014 08:12)
Message-ID<9203ad80-b6cc-4b95-bd9c-00b7931f75a9@googlegroups.com>
FollowsMayayana
Followupsnospam (3h & 52m) > Whisky-dave
Mayayana (11h & 56m)

On Friday, 11 July 2014 15:08:15 UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:

Whisky-dave
Stories about crashed clouds are an especially hot topic

these days, no matter whose cloud it is, because the issue of whether the cloud fad has staying power is a hot topic.

Mayayana
| This sort of thing has been going on for decades. Yes, but terminals were an economic and practical necessity.

because of the cost of storage of teh time.

PCs changed that. The new cloud trend is partly due to Internet connection improvements, but mostly it's due to profit strategies. There isn't any "hardware argument" for this new focus on cloud.

I agree with you on the profit, where are all the iphone users backing up to and why do Apple only supply 5GB free when the smallest device is 8GB. If you don;t have a personal computer you should be backing up to the cloud.

(I'm using the iphone as I know people that use them on my Mac as a backup rather than the cloud). I don;t think you can just plug a HDD into the USB port and back everything up, there;'s a reason for that I guess.

I think it's interesting to note, though, that various cloud strategies also date back a long time in the PC era.

I'm not sure that's true for me anyway the cloud idea represents a wireless connection and me not needing any aditional hardware to make use of it.

The 'Cloud' is njust a buzz word it's still HDDs and file system on the actual ground somewhere in the world.

But they've mostly failed due to irrelevance. Remember the "thin client" craze around 2000? PC magazines were yapping about how everyone was going to pay twice as much for half as much computer and then use online software. Why?

because the PC comunity were clueless at the time and jumped on teh latest craze, I don't remember anything like that happening here, other than use buying wyse terminals which we (the technicains) thought were rather dumb.

The gulible and admin fell for it.

Who wants such a big, clunky box next to their desk when for a mere $1,000 extra they can have a sleek, mini-PC? They kept pushing the idea until it finally just faded away.

And Windows Active Desktop (1998) was basically an attempt to sell people on the idea that they were always online, and that they should want to buy stuff while they're online. Win98 had ads stuck to the Desktop, for companies such as Disney. Windows customers were invited to "subscribe" to the Disney "channel". But it was really just a bunch of ads masquerading as futuristic interconnectedness and valorized as a Bill Gates's stroke of genius. Bill's

I though it was because of the Apple threat MS had to do something differnt.

such a genius that he realized the importance of the Internet before anyone else.

I'm not sure that's true I set up a network long before windows 98. I was on a friends bullitin board with others in 1994 and from home IIRC. using a Macplus at 2400 baud I found the login script in one of my old emails.

nospam (3h & 52m) > Whisky-dave
Mayayana (11h & 56m)