Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

nospam
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
Fromnospam
Date07/24/2014 17:20 (07/24/2014 11:20)
Message-ID<240720141120104175%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <6011t9di8pm6hab1ahfh2e4ape2r53gcff@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

nospam
a battery charger does just that, charge batteries, usually removing the battery from the device and inserting them into the charger.

that's different than a power supply, which powers the device and which may also charge a battery while the battery is still in the device.

Eric Stevens
THat's strange. I run my phone, iPad, Kindle etc off their internal batteries all the time. Every now and then I connect them to the power block

nospam
power block! a new name!

Eric Stevens
to 'charge the batteries'. No matter what you call them, I generally call them 'chargers' - as in "Where is the charger for the iPad?".

nospam
as i said before, and as you show above, they carry many names.

Eric Stevens
... and irrespective of what they are called, they are not power supplies for the device. They are power supplies for the device's battery.

nope, because they aren't designed to be used only with devices that have batteries.

for instance, you can plug something that *doesn't* have a battery into it, such as <http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/5a84/>, and it will work fine. there's no battery in that, so *can't* be a power supply for the device's battery.

also, if the battery is fully charged, it won't charge the battery any further (to do so could cause an explosion), and if there's insufficient power available to both charge and run the device, the power will be used to only run the device.

some are even designed to only power the device and not charge the battery (a stupid design choice, but nevertheless intentional).

it's up to the device what to do with the supplied power.