Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

nospam
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
Fromnospam
Date07/30/2014 17:11 (07/30/2014 11:11)
Message-ID<300720141111358021%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsWhisky-dave
FollowupsWhisky-dave (53m) > nospam

In article <f716b030-20dd-41ca-8c2a-2a37e611718d@googlegroups.com>, Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>wrote:

Whisky-dave
But you've calimed they are more relible, there's as yet not enough evidence to claim that.

nospam
oh yes there is. no moving parts for one.

Whisky-dave
Wrong.

not wrong.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-force3-recall-120gb-ssd,12893.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-bug-ssd-320-series,13076.html

those are defects. anything can have a defect.

there have been *countless* hard drives that have had defects, such as seagate's firmware bug of a few years ago, seagate's head delamination problem, stiction from long ago and many, many more.

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/18/barracuda_firmware_upgrade_and_ recovery/> After reports that its 1TB Barracuda drives are failing at an unusually high rate, Seagate says it has isolated a "potential firmware issue" that would seem to be the cause of this worldwide plague.

try dropping a hard drive and ssd and see which ones still have data. put both under water and see which ones will still have data.

Are you also saying tehre's no differnce between teh 'Entreprise' models and the standard most people buy ?

nobody said there isn't.

however, hard drives are going to fail quite a bit sooner than ssd. it's basic physics.

The good SSDs have similar life spans to HDDs.

nospam
actually much better than hd.

Whisky-dave
In theory and as yet unproven.

nospam
it's proven.

Whisky-dave
Perhaps to you, but not everyone.

anyone that thinks otherwise is mistaken or living in a cave.

No it's not.

nospam
yes it is that simple.

Whisky-dave
you don't know much about this do you.

more than you do, clearly.

nospam
they're always developing new types of everything, including hard drives

Whisky-dave
New and better types SSDs . SSD have never had movign parts thqat doesn;t make them indestructable.

nobody said it's indestructible.

however, they are far more reliable. period.

you've not heard of DVD cleaners ? Shows you how little you know about the subject.

nospam
cd/dvd cleaners are a complete waste of money.

Whisky-dave
they work I've used them.

lots of people have used them.

however, they are a complete utter waste of money.

Yes it does, just like records or even words on paper.

nospam
nope. scratches are on the surface of the disc and not where the laser is focused.

Whisky-dave
it's not just where the light is focused either, it's about light dispertion too. Even putting as label on a disc can cause problems.

only if you put the label on the wrong side.

nospam
the scratches would need to be very serious to cause a problem. minor scratches do not matter at all.

Whisky-dave
There's is a tolerance to what you might call minor scratches. But how can you know so little about this. There's plenty of tips out there for fixign damaged discs due to scratches I've used them myself.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-fix-scratched-dvd.htm

"As a DVD stores its data externally on a disc it can easily get scratched, which can affect the data. Scratches are a disc's worst enemy. Whether or not a scratched disc can be repaired depends on where the scratch is located. If the scratch is on the top, shiny part of the disc, the disc is not repairable and all the data is lost. If the scratch is on the bottom, plastic part of the disc, you may be able to repair the disc by resurfacing and polishing it "

minor scratches do not matter at all.

you have to gouge it to cause a problem.

I've never lost my house keys, but I;ve needed to use my duplcate set. My keys were inside the house, but I needed my backup.

nospam
irrelevant comparison.

Whisky-dave
then stop using the word LOST becaus eit has no meaning here.

nospam
it does.

Whisky-dave
So what do *you* mean by lost data ? or are you goign to claim dtat doesn;t get lost.

data is not lost like keys in a couch. that's just crazy talk.

and you don't loss data it becomes corrupted and that is what people say they have lost data.

nospam
you just said lost has no meaning, now you say it's widely used.

Whisky-dave
Depends who using the term and how they are using it.

apparently so.

try using the term like everyone else does for a change.

nospam
if there's *any* problem with the original, you get a backup copy.

Whisky-dave
But you have to know there's a problem.

nospam
so?

if you have the data on the main drive you don't need a backup, do you?

Whisky-dave
No you don't need backups until the original fails or disapears for whatever reason.

at which point it will be too late to make a backup.

you have to make the backups *before* a problem occurs.

Then the first option is usaully to find the backup, or an archive depending how you work.

if you can't find your backup, you have much bigger problems.

nospam
the thing is you don't know when (not if) the main drive will fail, nor can you prevent accidental deletion, which is why backups are vital.

Whisky-dave
One of the reasons. I don;t think 'accidental deletion' is so much of a problem with HDDs not sure about SSDs due to there much smaller capacitices poele might start deleting files like they used to with floppies and low capacity HDs. That's down to the indivual.

accidental deletion is always a problem. people make mistakes.

With the word LOST in computer terms it measn it's not where it expects the file to be.

nospam
lost means the data is gone.

Whisky-dave
No it does not. I guess you've never come across the LOST+FOUND directory have you.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/18154/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-l ostfound-folder-in-linux-and-unix

nospam
if the user accidentally deletes a file, it's not going to end up there.

Whisky-dave
Who said anyhting about the user deleting it, that's not the only way files and data gets removed.

files don't delete themselves.

the lost+found directory will not recover files the user deletes, accidental or not.

Even when you delete a file all that happens is that data is changed no data is lost useful information might derived from the file.

nospam
if you delete a file, it's gone.

Whisky-dave
No it's not, all that happens is the start and end locations amonst others of the file are 'zeroed out' for the want of a better word , thats how some recovery programs work.

nospam
actually what happens is the directory entry is changed.

Whisky-dave
ONLY yes the file still exists.

nospam
no it doesn't still exist..

Whisky-dave
The file does, this is real basic stuff here you're missing. https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071206121022AAyP6wD

"When you delete a file, it's never actually deleted unless the facilities are available on the computer system to command the file system to actually overwrite the contents of the file. When a file is deleted, all that happens is that an entry to the file is removed so you can't see it when browsing for files and it won't turn up on searches. It'll likely still be there on the disk however. "

that's what i said.

nospam
the blocks that had the data may still have the data

Whisky-dave
So they data isn;'t lost then is it.

it's inaccessible, which means it's lost.

to use your stupid key in the couch analogy, the keys are not really lost if they're under the couch but since you don't have them in your pocket and you have no idea where they are, then they're lost.

nospam
but they are marked as unused and may be overwritten at any time. there is no file anymore.

Whisky-dave
The data is still there. That is how recovery programs work not by magic or spells or chants but by looking at the data and retriving it. As time goes buy the space that the file took will be overwritten if and when needed.

it's not a file anymore and unless you recover *before* it gets overwritten, and with a modern system, that can be as short as seconds and it's *gone*.