Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

nospam
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
Fromnospam
Date07/25/2014 21:20 (07/25/2014 15:20)
Message-ID<250720141520494464%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (32m) > nospam

In article <mp35t9h44k0sc73uqfrvgde61s6s8csonu@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>wrote:

Tony Cooper
If I Google "Apple power supply", I get:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC461LL/A/apple-60w-magsafe-power-adapter- fo r-macbook-and-13-inch-macbook-pro

where it shows an "Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter"

If I Google "Apple iPhone Power Supply", I get http://store.apple.com/us/iphone/iphone-accessories/power#! where it shows Apple charging devices called "power adapters".

So, I have to conclude - based on your expert advice - that in the "real world" that people actually use "adapter" to describe the device. Not "power supply".

nospam
wrong conclusion.

what your test above shows is that google considers 'power supply' and 'power adapter' to be equivalent in meaning, which is exactly what i've been saying.

Tony Cooper
Google does not "consider" anything. Google is not sentient. It matches search terms to results as a result of an algorithm. What it's doing is matching a search term with what you could mean with, in this case, "Apple iPhone Power" being enough to match it to "Apple Power Adapter". It finds no results for "power supply" in that context, so it reverts to associations where there are results.

add google to the long list of things you know nothing about.

that algorithm you mention considers a lot of stuff, much more than you realize. google knows quite a bit, so much so that some people are creeped out by it.

you also have no idea what a search for 'power supply' returns (in any context), or what google does before presenting the results to you. you're once again, talking out your ass.

you're also arguing against yourself. on one hand you say google doesn't consider anything and on the other you say they do exactly that via 'an algorithm'.

I don't seem to be able to Google "Apple power supply" and find anything called a "power supply". I guess Google does "know" things.

nospam
that just shows that apple calls it a power adapter.

Tony Cooper
That should be enough for you since a) iPhones are Apple products,

they are but what apple calls something does not mean other names are now invalid.

it also is not specific to iphones. the thing that plugs in the wall that comes with an iphone is not iphone specific.

and b) whatever Apple says is usually gospel for you.

completely wrong. there is a *lot* that apple does that is not gospel.

nospam
the fact that a search for power supply gives you apple's pages show that the terms are interchangeable and that power supply is a valid name for it, something you refuse to admit even though you proved it yourself.

Tony Cooper
To use one of your favorite moans, I don't refuse to admit that "power supply" is a valid term for the power adapter.

yet you're arguing extensively.

What I say is that it's not a term that anyone uses for this device.

it is.

I've gone along with the idea that there are several terms that *could* be used, but *could be use* is not the same as "is used".

just because you never heard anyone call it that doesn't mean nobody does.

google considers them as equivalent, which means it's used much more than you think. otherwise, there would be no reason to do that.