Re: iPad power supply unit ...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: iPad power supply unit (was: Re: Adobe's Low hanging)
FromEric Stevens
Date08/01/2014 11:12 (08/01/2014 21:12)
Message-ID<p7mmt9hi48iq5mh2cie1mcrmnk8ooramnp@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (22h & 7m) > Eric Stevens

On 1 Aug 2014 07:31:38 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <l9jlt99vblnu0qmf308jgn8ocdjidmdro9@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens
You think semantics is about word meanings. Well, it isn't. Look it up.

Tony Cooper
That's news to me. "Semantics" is the study of word meanings and the meaning of words as they are used context.

Eric Stevens
Word meanings are but a small part. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics

"Semantics (from Ancient Greek: ?????????? se-mantik? "significant")[1][2] is the study of meaning. It focuses on the relation between signifiers, like words, phrases, signs, and symbols, and what they stand for, their denotation. Linguistic semantics is the study of meaning that is used for understanding human expression through language."

Tony Cooper
That definition is simply an amplification on the definition I provided. If you want to expand further, you have to get into sub-categories like formal semantics, lexical semantics, and conceptual semantics.

Eric Stevens
Right. It's all of that. That's why I say it is not just a matter of word meanings.

Sandman
Quite the opposite. You said, still quoted above, that it *ISN'T* about word meanings, totally excluding the concept of word meanings from the definition of semantics.

Will you admit to your error? Probably not.

It's about word meanings the same way that electronics is about Kirchhoff's law. You can't have semantics without word meanings and you can't have electronics without Kirchhoff's law. But that doesn't mean that semantics is about word meanings or electronics is about Kirchhoff's law. --

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Sandman (22h & 7m) > Eric Stevens