Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

Savageduck
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
FromSavageduck
Date07/11/2014 04:12 (07/10/2014 19:12)
Message-ID<2014071019121818676-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsEric Stevens
FollowupsEric Stevens (1h & 33m) > Savageduck
PeterN (19h & 29m)

On 2014-07-11 01:32:39 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 14:43:07 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2014-07-10 21:15:39 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/19/adobe_creative_cloud_2014_comment/ "one Adobe evangelist at the recent CC pre-launch press briefing suggested that it was the users? own fault for logging out of their Adobe IDs when they experienced sign-in issues instead of following a convoluted workaround that no-one except Adobe knew about."

I wonder who that was?

Savageduck
What gets me about the Register and its reporting is just how anti-Apple, & anti-Adobe they are.

Eric Stevens
And it astonishes me just how sensitive are some of the fanboys.

What astonishes me is some folks take a site such as the Register, which is known for tabloid type attacks on all areas of the computer industry seriously.

I actually posted the above, not to have a dig at Adobe, but to establish the attitude we see in this newsgroup is not unique to us. I didn't expect you to bite.

I bit. So?

Savageduck
They are forever making less than factual statements, in the case of this particular article they have expanded their claim for the CC outage from about 24 hours, to more than 24 hours, to the "some 36 hours" in this report.

Eric Stevens
The time of outage seems to depend on the application. According to http://tinyurl.com/kv5fepk Adobe first "first tweeted that users were unable to login to their Adobe accounts at 2:22pm Pacific time on Wednesday, and the service was still offline as of 1pm on Thursday". That's just short of 24 hours but we don't know how long it was off before Adobe reported it. Nor do we know when the last one came back on.

On the 15th May The Register in http://tinyurl.com/kv5fepk reported that the outage lasted "roughly 27 hours".

Savageduck
The reality was the Cloud services were down for about 18 hours, and at no time did subscribers lose access to the CC Apps.

Eric Stevens
Even according to Adobe, the time seems to have been longer than 18 hours and I'm not aware of allegations of people simply losing their CC apps.

Where did Adobe state that? I know what I experienced, which was the inability to log-in to Reveal, and Behance for about 18 hours.

Savageduck
It certainly effected those who were dependent on CC services for collaborative work and online publishing, however, what happened was not catastrophic.

Eric Stevens
Now where before have I heard that sort of claim? You should ask the editor of " at least one national newspaper (who) failed to publish its Adobe DPS-based tablet edition on Thursday morning as a result." See http://tinyurl.com/l8yacqk I expect there were others in a similar situation.

Savageduck
There were always other means of delivering/sharing or collaborating while the CC services were down, DB, or Box for example. Particularly since the CC apps never stopped running.

Eric Stevens
But if you are running to a tight deadline, as so much of the graphics industry is, you may not have time to find and use a work around.

That sounds like poor IT management where they should always have a fall-back delivery system in place, Adobe certainly isn't to blame because somebody chose to put all their eggs in one basket. I am quite sure that there were those in the graphics industry who saw this event as a hiccough, and have since moved through it. There haven't been any further reports of similar disruptions, so I suspect this event is still going to be referenced 12 months from now, and would have grown to 48 hours.

-- Regards,

Savageduck