Re: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Adobe's Low hanging .... ?
FromEric Stevens
Date07/23/2014 00:58 (07/23/2014 10:58)
Message-ID<8pqts9pk0vk7hsr12v2nklh9fljaulalge@4ax.com>
Followsnospam
Followupsnospam (5h & 3m) > Eric Stevens

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:14:45 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

nospam
In article <i9srs99kqvthfso02e12peigah76dqpi5q@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

Sandman
The quibble is for anyone to take this out of context and interprete it as a claim about smart phones having no moving parts whatsoever, regardless if its related to data storage.

Eric Stevens
I thought it all started when you posted on 16 Jul 2014 10:14:52 GMT in Message-ID: <slrnlsckg6.pkj.mr@irc.sandman.net>:

"What "switch" was this? You say it's an internal component, and the topic was "moving parts" so you seem to imply that inside your iPhone there was a mechanical physically moving "switch" that was broken. Having seen the insides of many iPhones (I have a friend that repair them), I can assure you that no such switch exists."

Sandman
Of course not, given the fact that I was not the first one to talk about an internal switch. That was Peter.

Eric Stevens
Agreed, but you were the first person to deny that there was a switch.

nospam
there are no internal switches in iphones or ipads. period.

Eric Stevens
What causes the iPad to turn off wwhen you close the cover?

nospam
forgot about those, but the original question was an iphone.

I was responding to your "there are no internal switches in iphones or ipads."

Sandman
No it doesn't. Your link shows one of the external switches. In fact, it shows the only switch in the entire phone, which is external.

Eric Stevens
You have a most peculiar definition of 'external'.

nospam
ex·ter·nal

adjective adjective: external 1. belonging to or forming the outer surface or structure of something."the external walls"

Eric Stevens
The switch under discussion does not form part of the external walls.

nospam
it is part of the external wall. just *look* at it.

See Step 27/28 of https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4+Vibrate+Ring+Switch+Replacement/4334 Whatever else these parts may be, they are not part of the external wall: they are all mounted inside it.

2. coming or derived from a source outside the subject affected."for many people the church was a symbol of external authority"

Eric Stevens
For the switch under discussion the push button was a source of external authority.

nospam
that perfectly applies to the switches and buttons on an iphone.

Eric Stevens
From where did you get these definitions?

nospam
<http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3A+external>

Eric Stevens
I've gone to the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary:

External ... outwardly visible or manifest ...

nospam
it is definitely that

Eric Stevens
Of or situated on the outside or visible part of something ...

nospam
it's that too

Nope. They are all mounted inside.

Eric Stevens
situated outside or beyond the limits of a given object ...

nospam
and that.

Eric Stevens
Doesn't seem to apply to a switch inside the iPhone case, even if it does have an external twiddly bit which allows you to work it from the outside.

nospam
it definitely applies.

--

Regards,