Message-ID<slrnlssds7.mir.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsEric Stevens
FollowupsWhisky-dave (2h & 19m)
Eric Stevens (12h & 50m) > Sandman

In article <b4css9945d90tihce5g698fv61n75okkt5@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens
I gave the original reference to the internal banana several articles upstream. e.g https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4+Vibrate+Ring+Switch+Replacement/4334 or http://tinyurl.com/oofzazt

Sandman
And I am disagreeing with you that the images there show any internal switches. But you are free to call them internal switches if it makes you feel good.

Eric Stevens
Who are you or I to argue with Apple? Apple thinks its a switch and I am inclined to go along with them.

Sandman
WTF? Where did Apple say that this was an internal switch? Sources please, or retract your claim.

Eric Stevens
Only after you explicitly state where I said Apple said it was an internal switch.

All I claimed was that Apple called it a 'switch'. See Step 28 of https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4+Vibrate+Ring+Switch+Replacement/4334 where the switch is shown being removed by a pair of pliers.

Again, where is *APPLE* calling the internal components of the ring/vibrate switch a switch. Did you think the above link was to an Apple source?

What is more it is clear that the switch is inside the case which has a slot cut in side to enable the switch to be accessed from the outside.

Making it an external switch. But I didn't think you were in reference to the mechanical toggle? You seem to have changed your mind here, and are now in reference to the externally-accessible mechanical switch and not the internal components of said mechanical switch.

There is no doubt that the switch is mounted inside the device.

Sandman
There is no doubt that its an external switch, yes.

Eric Stevens
Yes, it's an external switch mounted inside the iPhone.

Hullo ..... ?

No, it isn't mounted inside the iPhone, since it is externally accessible. If it was mounted inside the phone, it would not be accessible from the outside.

Sandman
I just wanted you to show me what an external switch on a comparable devices looks like, so I know what frame of reference you're coming from. Because it seems that according to you, there exists no external switches on any devices.

Eric Stevens
I didn't actually say "there exists no external switches on any devices"

Sandman
Which is why I didn't claim you said so, and used the words "it seems".

I see you failed to give any examples of external switches. I take it that according to you there doesn't exist a common device with an external switch? That's pretty intresting.

Eric Stevens
It's what you would expect.

Indeed, I don't expect you to give examples to support your position.

I find it extraordinary that people should regard a banana which is inside the case as being external simply because the end of the stalk is accessible from outside.

Sandman
That's a pretty good analogy, really. Only, you have it backwards. The banana is the fruit of the banan plant, and it is located easily-accessible on the "external" part of the plant. The plant, however, has a series of roots that extend to an "internal" part. No one calls those roots a "banana", just as no one is referring to the internal components of the ring/vibrate electronics the switch.

Eric Stevens
We are still talking about the switch in the iPhone. It was you who decided to call it a banana and I just went along with you.

Sandman
Now you're misrepresenting the truth (again). I said that YOU can call it a banana for all you like. I never called it a banana.

(No comment from Eric here)

Eric Stevens
If you want to deny that it was you who wanted to call it a banana you will have to reinsert both your and my text which you have surreptitiously deleted. The one advantage of your deletion is that it serves as a not very good example of quoting (or in this case attributing) out of context.

Sandman
All my posts are adequately and correctly attributed.

Eric Stevens
Which is more than you can say of your surreptitious deletions.

I trim posts. What parts are you missing?

Sandman
Sandman 07/21/2014 <slrnlsp8ni.jb7.mr@irc.sandman.net>

"You are free to call the switch an internal banana if you so desire"

I accept your apology.

But, as expected, Eric would never willfully admit to a mistake and actually offer an apology.

I think you'll find that when asked to flip the switch to make the iPhone go silent, few people fear that they need to disassemble the device in order to "get at" the switch.

Eric Stevens
Few people ever want to 'get at' the switch.

Sandman
If they don't "get at" it, how to they toggle it?

Eric Stevens
Via the control accessible through the hole in the side of the case.

Ah, you must be in reference to the external switch.

Sandman
In short, I think this all comes down to you wanting to call the *microswitch* the "switch", which of course is a perfectly viable definition. A microswitch is a switch, and the ring/vibrate mechanical switch certainly connects to a microswitch inside the iPhone, but as Andreas would say - that's not what people are referring to when they talk about the ring/vibrate switch, which I'm certain that you're aware of.

Eric Stevens
We seem to have made progress. You are now talking about a switch inside the casing of the iPhone, a species of device which you previously denied existed.

Sandman
You are incorrect.

Eric Stevens
In which of the several ways possible to apply your statement to my paragraph immediately above?

You are correct that I talking about a supposed switch inside the iPhone. I am talking about the external ring/vibrate switch.

-- Sandman[.net]