Re: iPad power supply unit ...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: iPad power supply unit (was: Re: Adobe's Low hanging)
FromEric Stevens
Date07/26/2014 03:23 (07/26/2014 13:23)
Message-ID<c9u5t9d0s6jdai317n0nh6j4ulp79lve78@4ax.com>
Followupsnospam (1h & 13m)
Sandman (4d, 14h & 7m) > Eric Stevens

On 25 Jul 2014 10:05:16 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <a394t9l37s730gnv0o1t17lbk09lhnhlov@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

I've accidentally already sent off a partially completed version of this article. This is the complete version.

Reinstating the bit that Sandman deleted:

Whisky-dave
The battery is not a PSU either,

Sandman
Whisky-dave: A battery can be said to be suplying power to the device.

Eric Stevens
Sandman: Supplying power != Power supply. Then again, it was Eric's claim initially, and he is a laymen so it isn't odd that he would mix these things up.

Apart from the fact that I probably have had a far better technical education in these matters than have you

Sandman
Haha, you're a hoot!

Eric Stevens
Well, I do have a degree in engineering which, although it was in mechanical engineering, .

I could have expressed thatr better. 'the first several years of the couse were identical to the electrical engineering degree'

Sandman
It's not like your word is worth anything here, Eric. You're a proven liar, remember?

Eric Stevens
and that I have spent more time fiddling with electrical and electronic devices than you have been alive, I would not be so foolish as to claim that a device which supplies power is not a power supply. I don't know why you persist in this inanity.

Sandman
See what I mean? This reminds you of your "black box" laymen analogy of the word "protocol". When you don't understand how things work, you use the simplest words. It's akin to you saying "Eh, it does stuff, and then voila, power". :-D

Eric Stevens
That you have not yet understood the 'black box' concept is telling.

Sandman
I understand it fully and how you have to use it because you don't understand what is being discussed. It's common among laymen to try to simplify things they don't understand, it's not you. But only you would simplify things and then argue with the people that knows more about it than you.

It's common among control system engineers as well. See for example http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~jiracek/DAGSAW/images/black_box_5_3b.gif In fact the name 'cloud' arose from a variation of this practise.

A PSU never has any power. A PSU has a power input and a power output. It never has any power of its own.

Eric Stevens
A Power Supply Unit never has any power.

Sandman
Correct.

You have switched terminology and are using it in a very particular context. The original discussion was over from where the iPhone obtained it's power. As can be seen above Whisky-dave said "A battery can be said to be suplying power to the device."

At this point you came in and said "Supplying power != Power supply."

It was at this point you switched to using 'Power Supply Unit' rather than 'Power Supply'.

In the very particular context of most electronic devices Power Supply Unit is not the same as Power Supply and it's the Power Supply we should be discussing.

Eric Stevens
I can just see you plugging your car into the electrical main supply to enable you to start it. Either that or you get the local kids to give it a push.

Sandman
A battery is a power *SOURCE*, just as your wall socket is a power *SOURCE* (or rather, the power plant that produces the power). A PSU takes power from a power source and regulates it for the load. It does not - I repeat - it does not have any power on its own.

Eric Stevens
That's the Sandman definition.

Sandman
No, it's the actual definition.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply>

I hadn't quite caught up with your jump and, in that context, you are quite correct. However, it is not what we had been discussing.

"A power supply is an electronic device that supplies electric energy to an electrical load. The primary function of a power supply is to convert one form of electrical energy to another and, as a result, power supplies are sometimes referred to as electric power converters."

Will Eric argue for days more or just quietly ignore this thread?

I will argue with the terminology used in that paragraph, unless of course you can show me a (your definition) power supply which can supply power without an external source. But I'm not really interested in arguing over Wikepedia.

"All power supplies have a power input, which receives energy from the energy source, and a power output that delivers energy to the load"

Whoa, would you look at that - that's pretty much verbatim what I just said.

And could apply just as well to a battery being charged from an external source.

A PSU, or power supply, ...

Make up your mind. You are the one who wrote "Supplying power != Power supply." A PSU can't supply power. All it can do is process the power with which it is supplied.

sits *between* the power *source* and the power *target*.

You're way out of your league here. If you want to think a battery is a PSU, go right ahead while I'll laugh my ass off.

Eric Stevens
I hope we get to see a photograph.

Sandman
<http://z0r.de/1877>