Re: As with our trolls, the...

Lloyd E Parsons
SubjectRe: As with our trolls, the problem wasn't the Mac Pro itself... It's the problem
FromLloyd E Parsons
Date02/17/2014 14:52 (02/17/2014 07:52)
Message-ID<bmeid5FmojqU1@mid.individual.net>
Follows-hh

On 2014-02-17 12:59:30 +0000, -hh said:

-hh
Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd E Parsons
On 2014-02-17 03:19:24 +0000, Nashton said:

-hh
(3AM? Really?)

Nashton
Lloyd E Parsons wrote:

Lloyd E Parsons
-hh said:

-hh
Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd E Parsons
-hh said:

-hh
BTW, congrats on the new ride. Enjoy!

Lloyd E Parsons
Thanks, I am.

I'm very impressed with the handling, nice and tight...

-hh
Its always interesting to see how a particular brand chooses to 'tune' their product. Nice to hear that GM has a product that's firm on the suspension ... probably due to a little bit of 'German Heritage' from the Delta II platform (developed by Opal); I can recall an old Caprice which did great in the 'quiet floating' category...

Lloyd E Parsons
Until recently, Buicks were made and marketed to the old farts! Nice soft, floaty ride and dead quiet going down the road were things that the group likes. But the Verano is being targetted towards a younger crowd as is most of the Buick line...

-hh
GM really needed to shift gears, as the parents of the Baby Boomers have been dying out, which doesn't make for good customers. Many of the Boomers themselves had gone Japanese years ago, and the Millennial's were following along too. The customers which stuck with GM was in trucks, which isn't really the demographic to move into a 'plush' automobile...they'd probably go to a minivan first, where once again the Japanese have made major inroads.

Yep, Buick's image was to feed an older demographic and they did well for them, but now the oldsters are like me a bit. We want the 'luxury', but we don't want the 'boat'.

The difference between my 2009 LaCrosse to the 2010 and later LaCrosse's is night and day. The 2010 was smaller, nimbler and powered by much smaller engines. While the 2009 had the 3.8L V-6 across the models, the modern one only has the 3.6L V-6 in the top of the series. And the LaCrosse is the biggest sedan they make now.

The Regal is their 'sporty' sedan and is quite a nice car.

The Verano is their bottom line sedan, but it is still a Buick so it has the amenities you expect with Buick. The Verano is targetting the $25K luxury sedan market that VW has owned for so many years. In performance, handling and ride, the Verano and Jetta are nearly the same though the Buick is a bit quieter as that is a stated goal that Buicks have been known for. But the trim levels are night and day different.

My Verano w/Convenience package is the 2nd up from the bottom, to get the stuff that is in it on a Jetta you have to go to the SEL and you're still missing a very few things that Buick has in the Convenience level.

Rear camera, blind spot detection, rear obstruction and cross-traffic warnings are all there in this level along with auto climate control, power driver seat, OnStar, Sirius.

Is the Verano as much vehicle overall as the BMW and Audi models Nasty suggested? Probably not, but then it is quite a big difference in purchase price and in regular maintenance.

Lloyd E Parsons
It reminds me a bit of some Mercedes and BMW's I've driven in the>>> past, though the shifting isn't nearly as harsh as those were.

-hh
Good to hear. Surprised a little about the shifting comment, at least for MB...I wholeheartedly agree with it for BMW: they have IMO a poor shift map, as they try to emphasize off-the-line performance, which hinders day-to-day drivability smoothness, especially in slippery conditions.

The MB I remember was one of the smaller ones, but it has been long enough ago that I don't remember the model.

-- Lloyd