Re: Ideological differences...

Nashton
SubjectRe: Ideological differences between big 3 german, americans and jap trash
FromNashton
Date02/28/2014 20:58 (02/28/2014 15:58)
Message-ID<leqppm$fr1$1@dont-email.me>
FollowsI hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please
FollowupsI hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please (2d, 15h & 8m) > Nashton

On 2014-02-28 2:11 PM, I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please wrote:

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please

Alan Baker

Nashton
On 2014-02-26 10:00 AM, Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC wrote:

David Fritzinger
Problem with the Boxter is the mid-engine placement, which limits how far the seat can go back, and limits how far it can be reclined.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
I somehow feel I would've been at home in its twin with a fixed roof. Sadly awd is not an option south of 911 and having kids I guess cayenne would've been a better option for me. But, alas, there is no manual, I think, only DSG or a slushbox.

Nashton
And you can change gears faster than a DSG?

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please
It's most;y irrelevant how fast you are rowing through the gears outside the F1 domain.

No, it isn't.

What is important with a stick that there is no override from the box, so that _you_ control exactly when the shifting is done while with DSG in VW I believe it can decide that you need to be in a different gear then the one you have selected.

In modern DSGs, the electronics guess *very* accurately, if the gear needs to be changed or not, depending on how you're driving at the moment, i.e. aggressively or just commuting to go to work.

And avoiding unexpected shifts is pretty critical from safety standpoint in the mountains.

These are 8 and now, in some cars, 10 speed gear boxes. Do you *really* think the transmission will downshift to a gear that will make you lose control and fly off a cliff?

Now, if you were racing in a rally on a mountainous road, I could see how this could be of some use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwfvnDt7BA#t=212

See what Sutcliffe has to say and how much more efficient a DSG is in acceleration, from 0-100 km/hr. I can imagine it's just as good with a rolling start from any speed.

... and then here is an issue of cost. I have already brought that up.

Ill give you that. Bot to shave of a sec from 0-100, I would gladly pay the extra cost. YMMV.

Alan Baker
That would depend.

If it's a 7 speed box and I'm changing from 7 to 6... ...no.

But if I'm slowing for a hairpin, and want to change from 7 to 2...

Nashton
I'm so sick of "too bad this car doesn't have a manual gearbox" sh*t, because in high end vehicles such as the Cayenne, It's miles ahead of any manual gearbox.

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please
It shifts quicker. Does not mean it's miles ahead for _my_ purposes. I'm not willing to pay for DSG upfront _and_ in ongoing maintenance (2x clutches + electronics) nor do I need DSG.

I want my 3rd pedal on the left.

A 4 year old child wants a specific toy. When you ask him why, he'll answer "because I like it." Don't ask for logic, you won't get it.

If you're purpose is to accelerate less, then your argument would hold some water.