Re: Ideological differences...

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
SubjectRe: Ideological differences between big 3 german, americans and jap trash
FromBrake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
Date02/24/2014 15:17 (02/24/2014 17:17)
Message-ID<lefk9n$mr8$1@dont-email.me>
FollowsLloyd E Parsons
FollowupsNashton (1d, 22h & 24m)

On 2/24/14, 17:07, Lloyd E Parsons wrote:

Lloyd E Parsons
On 2014-02-24 10:24:01 +0000, Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC said:

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC

Nashton
On 2014-02-23 2:29 AM, Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC wrote:

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
On 2/22/14, 18:41, -hh wrote:

-hh

Nashton
On 2014-02-21 12:49 PM, Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC wrote:

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
Right, they fixed the ride, but now you've got problems with the fucking understeer, cause the fucking thing got fwd.

Nashton
You mean torque steer.

-hh
No, he means understeer, although not necessarily for the reason he claims.

Nashton
What context, you bloviating idiot? The only context where understeer would be a factor in a FWD as opposed to a RWD, is at much higher speeds and generally in a track situation.

Torque steer, OTOH, is obvious at any speed.

No, bloviator, he meant torque steer.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
I did not. But now that you mentioned it it's a good way to steer clear of economy fwd cars.

When you get at least 50% of torque to the rear axle it's a piece of cace to rotate the car once you will have turned ESP off.

Nashton
Oh, merci beaucoup, Captain Obvious.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
Well, understeer is mostly obvious at low speeds cause I obviously do uturns in 2nd gear. Torque steer I think is not in issue in something moderately expensive such as fwd versions of A4. The arms are of equal length I think.

So yes I meant understeer in the drivetrain layout context. Though subaru with it's outgoing symmetrican layout is notoriously unwilling to rotate. I guess it's a moot point in a pig such as Q7.

Nashton
Funny though, how my "pig" can leave most cars in the dust, what with a flat powerband and with 406 lbs.ft of torque available at 1750 RPM. And the thing corners like it's going out of style, especially in dynamic mode.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
Any subton lotus (exige, elise) will blow doors on your Q7 in twisties. And so will many other somewhat heavier and cheaper cars such as RX-8, etc. Even underpowered bmw i120 would, given the willow glen rate of twistiness of old page mill road. And so will (gasp) claustrophobic miata. You probably can't even get semislicks in Q7 tire sizes to make a run for it.

Lloyd E Parsons
Hadn't heard the Lotus name in years. A buddy of mine had a Lotus Elan (I think) coupe back in the 60's and it was a blast to ride around in even if it wasn't so much fun to get into and out of. :)

I guess it's a track toy. But I saw it in action on old page mill. I _know_ it will blow the doors on Nashton's Q7 cause the thing just ripped RX-7 apart no matter the turbo. The fucking thing is a featherweight and Q7 power to weight advantage is irrelevant in the serious twisties no matter how much you can lower that pig with adjustable supension. It can fucking drag it's undercarriage on the pavement and it will just roll off the cliff if it attempts to pull speeds in the apex remotely resembling that Elise. That is tires can keep up which in his size they plain can't. And there ain't enough straights between the apexes to compensate for the behemoths weight. You can slow in fast out all day old and the elise will be in the valley before Q7 is halfway there expert driver or not.

You can stuff a fucking F1 pilot in a very souped up SQ7 and he will have difficulty catching up with joe schmoe the average in Elise downhill.

Nashton (1d, 22h & 24m)