Re: Ideological differences...

-hh
SubjectRe: Ideological differences between big 3 german, americans and jap trash
From-hh
Date02/23/2014 21:54 (02/23/2014 12:54)
Message-ID<2193623d-b0b4-4922-961d-3bcfb947238b@googlegroups.com>
FollowsAlan Baker
FollowupsAlan Baker (30m) > -hh

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:55:02 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:

Alan Baker
On 2014-02-23 12:16:04 +0000, -hh said:

-hh
Power application can certainly induce Under/Over, but since its observable even when the throttle is neutral, weight distribution plays a large part as well. The Q7's is front-biased 52%-48%, which will induce more understeer plowing.

Alan Baker
Actually, HH, I've got to disagree with you here. There's nothing in a weight bias that close to even that means you can't design the suspension without understeer.

The magnitude/significance, or the potential to minimize the factor wasn't my concern. All I was pointing out is that by being a nose-heavy configuration, it isn't pedantically considered to be optimal.

Yes: as a car's weight bias departs more from 50-50, then the tradeoffs to create neutral handling get larger...

So then you are agreeing with me that it isn't ideal.

... but when you're relatively close to 50-50, it's just not a big deal.

That's a "significance" judgement on if a suitably-small difference is noteworthy or not: it doesn't abolish the fact that a difference nevertheless exists.

All you're saying is that you're agreeing with me that a departure from ideal results in deoptimization and trade-offs...but you also believe that from a pragmatic standpoint they may not necessarily be of great enough magnitude to be of general concern. If we were only talking about advice for Nicolas and his fellow drivers of the "Soccer Mom" skill set, I'd be inclined to agree with you on that point. But Nicolas will invariably claim superiority, even though he's IIRC never taken any performance driving training in his life, nor tracked, nor AutoX'ed and so forth.

FWIW, there are some vehicles which do things like relocate heavy components such as the battery to the opposite end of the vehicle so as to improve vehicle weight distribution...a contemporary example is the Audi SQ5, which is front-engined but has its battery in its trunk. The Q7 on the other hand...

-hh