Re: Pothole queen tire thread

Nashton
SubjectRe: Pothole queen tire thread
FromNashton
Date02/28/2014 21:04 (02/28/2014 16:04)
Message-ID<leqq50$hg1$1@dont-email.me>
FollowsLloyd E Parsons

On 2014-02-28 11:16 AM, Lloyd E Parsons wrote:

Lloyd E Parsons
On 2014-02-28 14:55:59 +0000, -hh said:

-hh
Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd E Parsons
A popular size these days seems to be 235/45R18, saw>it on lots of cars while I was looking and is what is on the Verano.

But they sure don't cost $600 apiece!! :)

-hh
The 'Run Flat' technology adds a lot to the expense.

For example, a random suitable tire pick from Tire Rack...

<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+Tour+HP+ZP&partnum=55HR9LTHPXLZPV2>

...is a 255/50R19 runflat for BMW. FYI, I chose a 19" because that's what I'm seeing around as well as in my tire-kicking. A smaller rim is often still available, but the larger is a default and "free" upgrade ... which means most consumers will probably opt for them.

Okay, so Tire Rack says that this tire's MSRP is $335, plus their shipping charge to my zip code is +$98.60, so you're looking at $433 just to get it to your doorstep. Now you need to take it down to your local garage for old tire dismount & disposal, new tire mount & balance, sales tax, etc. Locally, we have a State ~$10 disposal fee on old tires and its easily $50 for mount/balance of a new, so with 7% sales tax, the tab is already at $527.

Setting aside any surcharges to cut the old tire off the rim or any rim damage, considering just one last factor which is that the modern cars have tire pressure monitoring electronics often inside the rim, if the blowout took out this black box, they cost usually around another $75 or so per corner, which would put our running total up to $600.

Lloyd E Parsons
Another good reason to not buy BMW!! Of course, since I don't like them at all, it isn't an issue for me! :)

But if run-flats are a problem, why would one replace a bad one with another just like it?

Even at those somewhat lower prices, it is fucking ridiculous for something less than a full blown racer for tires and rims.

-hh
That it is. I've found the high cost to have been surprising,but fortunately, they've not been my bill to pay. More cynically, I also see them as "surprise" expenses that the OEM did not lose the initial new car sales for, but it is making for more and more unhappy customers. The owner of the tire garage that I've been using for years has told me that he's been watching his customers get ticked off enough such that they've been getting rid of their BMWs and buying other brands which do not have runflat tires.

That has to be one of the dumbest things you've ever posted here and you've posted some pretty dumb stuff.

LOL!!!!