Re: Ideological differences...

Lloyd E Parsons
SubjectRe: Ideological differences between big 3 german, americans and jap trash
FromLloyd E Parsons
Date02/28/2014 15:16 (02/28/2014 08:16)
Message-ID<bnbk1mFt3o5U1@mid.individual.net>
FollowsNashton

On 2014-02-28 13:29:10 +0000, Nashton said:

Nashton
On 2014-02-27 4:29 AM, I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please wrote:

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please
On 2/26/14, 21:05, -hh wrote:

-hh
David Fritzinger wrote:

-hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>wrote: Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC wrote:

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
But, alas, there is no manual, I think, only DSG or a slushbox.

-hh
The Porsche USA's Configurator for the Cayenne (base)...However... Similarly, the specs on the forthcoming Macan are similarly indicating auto-only, at least for the time being; I believe it is going to be using a DSG (meh). But the early reviews seem pretty positive and even the current base trim would spank a Q7 TDI in Nicolas's "drag race wannabe" mode. IIRC, the very first production samples are due at US dealers later this spring; perhaps I'll see if they'll let me take one out for a test drive...

David Fritzinger
I realize that the Cayenne saved Porsche's bacon, since Porsche was in some financial trouble at the time. However, a Porsche SUV still seems sacreligous to me.

-hh
Understandable. I believe that what transpired was that markets have to adapt to changing consumer interests and they were confronted with the decision of either going smaller and into the narrower niche occupied by the Italians (Ferrari, etc), or trying to figure out a way to grow (some) in a direction that would generally foster existing customers to buy a second instance at the same time. With the popularity growth of SUVs then (and continuing to today), a product that was more utilitarian looked like a good opportunity, particularly with VWAG looking to break into that same market for platform sharing of development & manufacturing costs.

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please
To tell the truth a ute makes a whole lot of sense where I live than a bottom scrubber such as cayman and 911 or even 4 seater panamera. I see more panameras here than 911s here which is not necessarily a bad thing. Though understandably 911 is more of a porsche than panamera and I would have preferred some inane arrangements with the engine in the middle of a 4 seater. I wonder if you can even pull a stint like that without having rear row facing backwards. I think there is a jap minivan with midengine placement but that's the only 4+ seater mid engined car.

-hh
Another direction that they probably considered would have been some sort of revival of the affordable two door hot hatchback such as was the 924/944/968...but as one can see from what products exist in the US Market, that's a small niche and not a growth segment - they never would have been able to have offered a product that would sell 50-80K units/year such as the Cayman has. With the Macan, I suspect that more would claim that its design is closer to their heritage roots, but from the business side of the books, current industry reports are suggesting that based on wait times in key markets, it looks like they're going to easily exceed their introductory year goal of 50K units, and thus be another good ROI. Time will tell what that means in regards to their future direction - - for the classical enthusiast it probably isn't all that rosy, as the 911 continues to be a stray from its austere roots, and the scuttlebutt is that the next product (7th) will be a "Panamera Junior",

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please
to potentially compete in the 5 Series and E Class range...which IMO probably then also includes the new Maserati Ghibli. But all of that aside: at 5.2sec, it also utterly smokes the 7.7sec 0-60mph time of the Q7 3.0 TDI that EgoBoy has been trying to brag about as the "Ultimate Performer". :-)

hh for crissakes break the lines. Thunderbird shows your paragraphs are one fucking long line. Nashton claims that it will be replaced with RS5 which might be in the same boat as that up and coming A4 on steroids from porsche. Plus, porsche is unlikely to receive an active rear diff in that compact sedan cause I think that's not even an option in it's big brother.

Nashton, are you gonna carry kids in the trunk of that RS5?

Nashton
Kids are almost grown up and will be gone by the time I get one.

I'm not keeping my fingers crossed, but if the naturally aspirated V8 is gone, I'll be looking elsewhere.

Given the trend to ever smaller engines pushing bigger vehicles, that is a concern for you I suppose.

And it seems odd that they keep doing this. So many 4-bangers are showing 31mpg highway these days, yet the 3.8 V-6 from GM would do that just fine. I guess it is the around town mileage and averaged mileage that is the kicker. With my LaCrosse with the 3.8L V-6 average was around 18 combined, with the Verano with the 2.4L injected 4, my average is around 25+.

Of course, that is a smaller and lighter vehicle than the LaCrosse was, even smaller than today's LaCrosse.

-- Lloyd