Re: As with our trolls, the...

Lloyd E Parsons
SubjectRe: As with our trolls, the problem wasn't the Mac Pro itself... It's the problem with the morons
FromLloyd E Parsons
Date02/19/2014 14:55 (02/19/2014 07:55)
Message-ID<bmjr7vFqkv8U1@mid.individual.net>
Followssms
Followupssms (14m)
David Fritzinger (1h & 34m) > Lloyd E Parsons

On 2014-02-19 05:59:39 +0000, sms said:

sms
On 2/18/2014 4:54 PM, -hh wrote:

-hh
On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:39:08 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:

sms
The average age of vehicles on the road continues to increase so apparently there are many customers with a long term mindset.

-hh
Not necessarily: it could be as simple as "I can't afford a new monthly payment of $X for a new car", so they keep on plugging away with the old one.

sms
It's fairly easy to find a starting point from which to negotiate from. Look at the "x in stock at this price" ads, get quotes from someone in USAA, find the invoice price and deduct the holdbacks and factory-to-dealer incentives, etc. to try to get a rough idea of the actual dealer cost (often factory to dealer incentives are not easy to find).

-hh
Getting a handle on a dealer's true cost is a handful, and easier said than done. A coworker just got an Accord at IIRC 10% below the supposed Invoice, for example.

sms
Honda used to eschew incentives but recently they've followed Toyota into that whole game: <http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303722104579239983004270504>. Swapping higher margins for higher volume can be a dangerous game but once one manufacturer do3es it the others feel compelled to follow.

Yep, practically all of them are doing some incentives these days.

I remember when it was only American built cars that had all of them. The imports sold pretty much at sticker because they claimed they weren't inflating the sticker price like the US models were. Whether that was actually true or not, I don't know but they convinced the market it was.

When I looked and drove the Jetta, the salesguy didn't want me leaving the dealership without buying as I had expected. When I casually asked him about wiggle room on pricing, he said that VW doesn't have those big incentives or discounts at the dealership, though they did have some.

As I headed for the door, he got the 'sales manager' who immediately told me that since the dealership was so new (opened just about week before), they needed to move some cars and he could knock about $3K off. I almost laughed out loud!

These days you can dicker over practically any purchase if you have the patience and perserverance, and certainly for almost any brand of automobile.

What always amuses me is that 1-2 year old new vehicles often cost _more_ than a new vehicle of the same model

I noticed that on quite a few models of cars as I was evaluating how well they held their dollar value. The number of brands that had 1-2 year old vehicles that were advertised at higher selling prices than the new ones was not a short list.

Freaking amazing!! :)

To me it is interesting to note how ongoing costs add up with cars. If you buy new, you get the best interest for the loan, the lowest insurance cost for the model and in many cases a better price than some used cars.

If you buy used, you pay too much for many of them, the insurance costs are higher and the interest on the loan is higher. Sometimes to the point where used is definitely more expensive than new.

And if you lease, you do get a lower payment, but higher insurance cost and of course, you never own it but had to pay for all maintenance.

One question on a lease. With a purchase, it is often smart to get GAP insurance if you've financed because the loan is upside down for quite a bit of the term, the longer the term the bigger the gap over a longer period of time. If you total the car it pays the difference between what the auto insurance pays and what you owe. How is that handled on a lease??

-- Lloyd