Re: As with our trolls, the...

Lloyd E Parsons
SubjectRe: As with our trolls, the problem wasn't the Mac Pro itself... It's the problem with
FromLloyd E Parsons
Date02/16/2014 15:25 (02/16/2014 08:25)
Message-ID<bmc00mF60d4U1@mid.individual.net>
Follows-hh
FollowupsNashton (12h & 54m) > Lloyd E Parsons

On 2014-02-16 12:45:15 +0000, -hh said:

-hh
Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Alan Baker
-hh said:

BTW, congrats on the new ride. Enjoy!

Thanks, I am.

I'm very impressed with the handling, nice and tight and on par with> the Jetta on curvy roads. Better interior with all the gee-gaws that> Buick likes to stick in their cars and very quiet going down the road.

-hh
Its always interesting to see how a particular brand chooses to 'tune' their product. Nice to hear that GM has a product that's firm on the suspension ... probably due to a little bit of 'German Heritage' from the Delta II platform (developed by Opal); I can recall an old Caprice which did great in the 'quiet floating' category, but ended up suffering for that isolation in the bends.

Until recently, Buicks were made and marketed to the old farts! Nice soft, floaty ride and dead quiet going down the road were things that the group likes. But the Verano is being targetted towards a younger crowd as is most of the Buick line.

And yes, Opel's influence is all around you in the Verano. It really does remind you of German engineering and design with more emphasis on interior tweaks that are of interest to the market here.

Talking about some of the older stuff, I remember a 55 or 56 Olds or Buick I drove for awhile way back when. Big deal was the power steering. I remember ads showing turning with just the little finger, what the ads didn't show was that on snowy days if you got stuck, it was very easy to not have a clue which way the wheels were pointing since there was exactly zero feedback to the driver. It was not uncommon on those kinds of days to see someone open the driver door to see which way the wheels were pointing as they tried to get out of the mess they were in.

The Verano isn't as quiet or soft as my 2009 LaCrosse, but it is more quiet and smooth than most other cars of similar size that I drove or have ridden in. Because of the 4-cyl engine and the 6-speed tranny you notice the engine/tranny a bit more because other than on the freeway, it is more active and more felt. With the LaCrosse you almost never even noticed the shifting, on the Verano (and Encore) you notice it a fair bit on both accelleration and decelleration.

It reminds me a bit of some Mercedes and BMW's I've driven in the past, though the shifting isn't nearly as harsh as those were.

Alan Baker
But I've already surprised at the gas mileage! Took it up on the

-hh
open>road and cruising along at a steady 71mph was getting 36mpg> instantaneous steadily and later around town somewhere around 27-29mpg.

Alan Baker
That's better than the specs call for and leads me to believe that> when it is broke in it will do better.

-hh
Good to hear, although I do generally think that 'break in' is more of a thing of the past. I've found it to be interesting just how seemingly small stuff is now noticeable: my fuel economy on my DD varies by around 3mpg between going to work versus homeward ... same roads, just going the other direction. The reason why in two words? Elevation Change. Its effectively uphill to work, which means that homeward is more of a downhill coast.

-hh

Break in is still important, but now it is for a much shorter period of time and less onerous than in the past. The owner's manual says the 1st 500 miles is enough and to not hold steady speeds for long times, avoid windiing it up through the gears, hard stops and so forth. I can remember when the break in period was for a hell of a lot more miles, with all kinds of suggestions for what not to do.

For me, I break 'em in like I'm gonna drive 'em!

-- Lloyd