Re: As with our trolls, the...

-hh
SubjectRe: As with our trolls, the problem wasn't the Mac Pro itself... It's the problem with the mor
From-hh
Date02/17/2014 13:59 (02/17/2014 04:59)
Message-ID<7733378a-d6d5-4c8d-ae4c-726be23b5220@googlegroups.com>
FollowsLloyd E Parsons
FollowupsLloyd E Parsons (52m)
David Fritzinger (6h & 33m)

Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd E Parsons
On 2014-02-17 03:19:24 +0000, Nashton said:

(3AM? Really?)

Nashton
Lloyd E Parsons wrote:

Lloyd E Parsons
-hh said:

-hh
Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Lloyd E Parsons
-hh said:

-hh
BTW, congrats on the new ride. Enjoy!

Lloyd E Parsons
Thanks, I am.

I'm very impressed with the handling, nice and tight...

-hh
Its always interesting to see how a particular brand chooses to 'tune' their product. Nice to hear that GM has a product that's firm on the suspension ... probably due to a little bit of 'German Heritage' from the Delta II platform (developed by Opal); I can recall an old Caprice which did great in the 'quiet floating' category...

Lloyd E Parsons
Until recently, Buicks were made and marketed to the old farts! Nice soft, floaty ride and dead quiet going down the road were things that the group likes. But the Verano is being targetted towards a younger crowd as is most of the Buick line...

GM really needed to shift gears, as the parents of the Baby Boomers have been dying out, which doesn't make for good customers. Many of the Boomers themselves had gone Japanese years ago, and the Millennial's were following along too. The customers which stuck with GM was in trucks, which isn't really the demographic to move into a 'plush' automobile...they'd probably go to a minivan first, where once again the Japanese have made major inroads.

It reminds me a bit of some Mercedes and BMW's I've driven in the past, though the shifting isn't nearly as harsh as those were.

Good to hear. Surprised a little about the shifting comment, at least for MB...I wholeheartedly agree with it for BMW: they have IMO a poor shift map, as they try to emphasize off-the-line performance, which hinders day-to-day drivability smoothness, especially in slippery conditions.

And yes, Opel's influence is all around you in the Verano. It really does remind you of German engineering and design with more emphasis on interior tweaks that are of interest to the market here.

Nashton
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahah!.

Apparently, someone is of the opinion that "Slovenian Heritage" is much better.

I took the Q7 for its first spin to Halifax yesterday. The weather and road conditions were abysmal. You should have seen the thing go. Simply astonishing. I was going not slower than 120 Klms/hr in anything you can imagine, from slush to ice. Gusts up to 60 klms/hr, which I couldn't feel at *all*.

Lloyd E Parsons
Unless your windspeed measurement was with some kind of new 'Klms/hr' I call bullshit!

Well, there was another storm which did just head up that way, but only a fool purposefully heads out into a blizzard just to "take a spin". Looking to see if there were adverse conditions, and using HALIFAX INTL airport (more open space usually results in higher peak gusts):

(logical "Day Before Yesterday" for a 2/17 3AM post) 14 Feb 2014: Peak Windspeed: 62-64kph at 01:00-02:59

<http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/hourlydata_e.html?timeframe=1&Prov=NS&StationID=50620&hlyRange=2012-09-10%7C2014-02-16&cmdB1=Go&Year=2014&Month=2&Day=14&cmdB1=Go#>

(logical "Yesterday" for a 2/17 3AM post) 15 Feb 2014: Peak Windspeed: 56-60kph, at 00:00 - 01:59

<http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/hourlydata_e.html?timeframe=1&Prov=NS&StationID=50620&hlyRange=2012-09-10%7C2014-02-16&Year=2014&Month=2&Day=15&cmdB1=Go#>

(logical "earlier today for a 2/17 3AM post) 16 Feb 2014: Peak Windspeed: 55kph at 11:00hrs (last entry at this time)

<http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/hourlydata_e.html?timeframe=1&Prov=NS&StationID=50620&hlyRange=2012-09-10%7C2014-02-16&Year=2014&Month=2&Day=16>

So its in the rough ballpark to be plausible. However, the better part of judgement still is in believing:

Nashton
If you think any NA junk can beat quattro, you're dumber that we thought you were.

...because while one might have "All Wheel Go", EVERYONE has "All Wheel Stop". Perhaps Nicky needs to go re-read the section in the Audi Owner's Manual that IIRC almost literally says "but you still can't disobey the laws of Physics".

Its been quite awhile since I've been stupid enough to purposefully venture out in really crappy conditions. Perk of the job :-) In any event, it isn't all too rare to see behemoth SUVs upside-down in the highway median, which in some instances was the very same one that blew past twenty minutes earlier, moving at twice the safe maximum velocity for the road conditions. Some years ago, a colleague ("JM") holds what we believe to be the office record, namely three such 'flippers' during but a single evening's commute drive home.

-hh