Re: Ideological differences...

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
SubjectRe: Ideological differences between big 3 german, americans and jap trash
FromBrake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
Date02/25/2014 10:52 (02/25/2014 12:52)
Message-ID<lehp57$7bk$2@dont-email.me>
FollowsDavid Fritzinger
FollowupsDavid Fritzinger (4h & 10m)

On 2/24/14, 22:51, David Fritzinger wrote:

David Fritzinger
In article <leg4ai$tqj$1@dont-email.me>, "Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC" <isquat@gmail.com>wrote:

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
On 2/24/14, 21:09, David Fritzinger wrote:

David Fritzinger
In article <lefkq8$ppg$1@dont-email.me>, "Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC" <isquat@gmail.com>wrote:

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
On 2/24/14, 17:13, Lloyd E Parsons wrote:

Lloyd E Parsons
On 2014-02-24 10:38:15 +0000, Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC said:

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC

Nashton
On 2014-02-23 2:53 AM, Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC wrote:

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC

Alan Baker

Nashton
On 2014-02-21 12:49 PM, Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC wrote:

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC

Lloyd E Parsons
On 2014-02-21 12:48:36 +0000, -hh said:

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
A4 have relatively soft suspensers (soft enough to make me swear nearly evry time I taxi as my apartment complex taxiways over the lying cops and hit the cops with the undercarriage). But it retains composure taking turns. I dunno if it got swaybars worthy of a teenage hardon or what, but it's not your average buick boat rolling into every turn no matter how mildly taken. And it does not squat on starts. And it does not dive during braking. Go figure out how zee Germans managed those feats.

-hh
The A4 does some, as will any vehicle that doesn't have a dynamically controlled active suspension technology. In any event, your option on Buicks as being sloppy old boats is a dated one; in fact, the model that Lloyd bought _has_ a German designed suspension system courtesy of Opal which isn't shabby. True, might not be as sharply turned as others, but the old high seas "Boat" paradigm is dead.

Lloyd E Parsons
Yes, the 'boat' ride is gone in the Buicks of today. I drove both the Encore cross-over and Verano, neither resembled my 2009 LaCrosse's soft ride nor did they corner the same.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
Right, they fixed the ride, but now you've got problems with the fucking understeer, cause the fucking thing got fwd.

Premium car? No fucking way.

Nashton
You mean torque steer. At least get your terms straight.

Alan Baker
He might mean torque steer...

...but front wheel drive is pretty notorious for understeer as well.

Nashton
;)

As for Lloyd and his contention that Buicks of today bear no resemblance to older models, at least the older models had some power.

And I'd rather have a plush ride in a NA car, than a stiffer suspension on a car that is tuned to be stiffer, just to satisfy the crowd that buys them and convince them that it is more "European" in its handling than older Cruise ship, boat-anchors.

Now if you want a 4WD with virtually no undesteer, get a 300 HP Maxima and fit it with a front and rear torsion bar and Eibach springs or coilovers and the thing is a rocket ship and sticks to the road during cornering like the tarmac was made from the underside of duct tape.

Alan Baker
The Maxima is FRONT wheel drive, not FOUR wheel drive, Nicolas.

Nashton
Yeah, I wasn't aware of that, thanks for pointing it out.

Jesus.......

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
Precisely. Shitload of understeer.

Nashton
You are very prone to hyperbole. First, you declare that Haldex is universally considered junk and now this.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
I don't know about "universally" it's crap in my book (both as a concept and as an implementations available to date) and that's all I care about.

Nashton
If you drive it like a sports car, you can feel the understeer.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
Thank you Captain Obvious.

Nashton
Hint, I don't. If anything, I'm more concerned about torque steer. And they have done a superb job in tuning it out.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
... and it's also absent on a lot of cheaper cars.

I'd rather get a stang than maxima if I were in the states. Maxima only advantage is that it's a 4 door muscle car rather than 2 door.

Nashton
And I drive in crappy conditions, i.e. snow and ice.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
Right. That's precisely why I want rwd: to get the ass around quicker with the gas pedal.

Nashton
A Mustang? Another cruise ship boat anchor.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
Ok, I haven't driven one. And given that I'm not in the states I probably won't. But it's not expensive and it makes sense for some empty nested americans who don't want to pay for intelligence of a euro car.

Lloyd E Parsons
What makes you think the euro cars are so intelligent? Because they speak multiple languages? :)

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
It's because their suspension setup and drivetrain layout meets my purposes. Not to mention the sound insulation.

It means that the specifications for the car are correct (they meet my wants).

Lloyd E Parsons
Or because they help you learn the service manager's name since you'll be giving him lots of time and money!

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
It's no worse than my 92 Subaru Legacy from hell. That was the worst money pit in my life. I hope it to stay that way.

Lloyd E Parsons
In most model years, the Mustang is a great car to drive.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
I hope I'd never know. Panhard rod in the ass is not my ideal of the rear suspension setup cause I like to take bumpy corners briskly. And I assure you a good chunk of corners around here are anything but seamless. Shitty roads are what separates brilliant suspension setup from a mediocre one.

So euro cars in my view are about brains and 'stang is about muscle.

David Fritzinger
Just so you know, the next model Mustang will have an independent rear suspension (FInally!). It will be a 2015 model, on sale sometime over the summer or early autumn, IIRC.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
But it did already have that about a decade ago before detrua beancounters rode the panhard rod to the streets? Marketing said few stang buyers would care. They were damn right. I care but I'm not a 'stang buyer.

David Fritzinger
No, it didn't. To be more accurate, there was one model of Mustang that had an independent rear suspension, the Cobra of a few years ago. Other Mustangs have had a solid rear axle since the car was introduced 50 years ago.

I suppose solid rod could be a plus from the suspension/drivetrain longevity perspective on the shitty roads I sometime travel. But I have difficulty keeping up with the gas bill for 4potters