Re: Ideological differences...

Nashton
SubjectRe: Ideological differences between big 3 german, americans and jap trash
FromNashton
Date03/03/2014 12:22 (03/03/2014 07:22)
Message-ID<lf1olt$1s7$2@dont-email.me>
FollowsI hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please

On 2014-03-03 7:07 AM, I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please wrote:

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please

Nashton
On 2014-02-28 2:11 PM, I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please wrote:

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please

Alan Baker

Nashton
On 2014-02-26 10:00 AM, Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC wrote:

David Fritzinger
Problem with the Boxter is the mid-engine placement, which limits how far the seat can go back, and limits how far it can be reclined.

Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC
I somehow feel I would've been at home in its twin with a fixed roof. Sadly awd is not an option south of 911 and having kids I guess cayenne would've been a better option for me. But, alas, there is no manual, I think, only DSG or a slushbox.

Nashton
And you can change gears faster than a DSG?

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please
It's most;y irrelevant how fast you are rowing through the gears outside the F1 domain.

Nashton
No, it isn't.

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please
What is important with a stick that there is no override from the box, so that _you_ control exactly when the shifting is done while with DSG in VW I believe it can decide that you need to be in a different gear then the one you have selected.

Nashton
In modern DSGs, the electronics guess *very* accurately, if the gear needs to be changed or not, depending on how you're driving at the moment, i.e. aggressively or just commuting to go to work.

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please
And avoiding unexpected shifts is pretty critical from safety standpoint in the mountains.

Nashton
These are 8 and now, in some cars, 10 speed gear boxes. Do you *really* think the transmission will downshift to a gear that will make you lose control and fly off a cliff?

Now, if you were racing in a rally on a mountainous road, I could see how this could be of some use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwfvnDt7BA#t=212

See what Sutcliffe has to say and how much more efficient a DSG is in acceleration, from 0-100 km/hr. I can imagine it's just as good with a rolling start from any speed.

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please
... and then here is an issue of cost. I have already brought that up.

Nashton
Ill give you that. Bot to shave of a sec from 0-100, I would gladly pay the extra cost. YMMV.

Alan Baker
That would depend.

If it's a 7 speed box and I'm changing from 7 to 6... ...no.

But if I'm slowing for a hairpin, and want to change from 7 to 2...

Nashton
I'm so sick of "too bad this car doesn't have a manual gearbox" sh*t, because in high end vehicles such as the Cayenne, It's miles ahead of any manual gearbox.

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please
It shifts quicker. Does not mean it's miles ahead for _my_ purposes. I'm not willing to pay for DSG upfront _and_ in ongoing maintenance (2x clutches + electronics) nor do I need DSG.

I want my 3rd pedal on the left.

Nashton
A 4 year old child wants a specific toy. When you ask him why, he'll answer "because I like it." Don't ask for logic, you won't get it.

I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please
There is some truth to that. I want 3 pedals "because I like it" and for the other reasons stated, cost of operation being one of them, the sense of complete control being another.

That's a different story altogether, again. And that's an opinion I can respect, because it comes from a personal preference.

It's partly heart partly brain. Learn from the females of the species or die in this fucking feminist friendly age.

Sorry, can you explain what you're talking about?