Re: Clobberin' Time...

Cryofax
SubjectRe: Clobberin' Time...
FromCryofax
Date09/22/2001 07:03 (09/21/2001 22:03)
Message-ID<423506ec.0109212103.4ffbb9f5@posting.google.com>
Client
Newsgroupsrec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
FollowsCelaeno
FollowupsCelaeno (1d, 17h & 55m) > Cryofax

celaeno@shavenwookie.nospam.com (Celaeno) wrote in message news:<3ba89c56.5883621@news.world-online.no>...

Celaeno
You will not evade me, jack_shappa@hotmail.com (Cryofax):

Cryofax
celaeno@shavenwookie.nospam.com (Celaeno) wrote in message

If a country harbored known terrorists, then they knew that further terrorists acts originating from within their own borders was possible. That they didn't expel or arrest the terrorists means they approve of and support such activity. If the terrorists were hiding in a country unbeknowst to the country's government then that's a different situation entirely. Currently the thinking is that the Taliban knew of, harbored, and approved of Bin Laden's activities. But we need to be darn sure before we go bombing Kabul.

Celaeno
Terrorists have been harbored by assorted countries for DECADES without anyone feeling a need to start a full scale war.

Because something has been a certain way for any length of time does not justify it. I think the world is beginning to take notice of just how destructive terrorists can be, and with the potential of Bio weapons and Nukes on the horizon we're starting to realize we need to do something NOW before its too late.

Cryofax
You can't seperate the civilians from the rest of the country. They live there, they're part of the country. If that country commits an act of war we are at war with that entire country.

Celaeno
So if an American terrorist goes and bombs something in Afghanistan and goes back home, the US government is harboring him and hence the entire country is a valid target for war and punishment in the eyes of the victim, and killing a few US citizens in the act of punishing them is just to be expected and nothing to get outraged about.

Its to be expected that our enemy will attack us. It is also to be expected that we will be outraged by it. Surprised? No. Outraged? Of course. We're at war and will take the necessary steps to win. Targeting civilians specifically is not something we will choose to do unless it is somehow going to lead to victory (Atom Bombs in WWII). I don't think bombing Kabul would make one bit of difference to the Taliban so there's no point in doing it. We should concentrate on the terrorists and the Taliban, but there is likely civilian collatoral damage.

Cryofax
And stop with the "you're no better than the terrorists" crap.

Celaeno
Can't handle the truth about jingoism?

Is that Jingo Fett? Jango's brother?

Cryofax
Nobody wants to make it worse. But then sometimes things get worse before they get better...

Celaeno
And sometimes they don't have to get worse before getting better.

Let's hope. But if making a huge dent in worldwide terrorism that will save millions of lives comes at the expense of a few hundred civilians then do you not think that's worth it?

Cryofax
Sounds like you're saying killing people is bad.

Celaeno
And you disagree with that?

Cryofax
As a blanket general rule? Yes. Sometimes people need to be killed.

Celaeno
Funny. My blanket general rule is that killing is bad,and 'sometimes people need to die' is the exception.

Isn't that the point I just made? Apparently we agree on something.

In this case, I'm saying killing the right people might be good, killing the wrong people is (as always) bad.

Cryofax
Of course nobody wants to kill the "wrong" people. But if we take out all the terrorists, but unintentionally kill some civilians (not thousands, but let's say a few hundred) in the country does that mean the operation was a failure?

Celaeno
Don't ask me, ask the people whose lives you don't give a flying fuck about.

I'll trade a few hundred civilian lives now for a million later. You seem to not give a "flying fuck" about them. Hope you or someone you love doesn't live in any major metropolitan areas when the anthrax is released.

Not act rashly.

Cryofax
We haven't thus far. We could have nuked Afghanistan by now if we wanted to.

Celaeno
Whoop de do.

You brought it up.

Cryofax
With this in mind don't you think we need to nail the whole country hard now? That Taliban government is fanatical even by Islamic standards...

Celaeno
And what makes you think all of Afghanistan supports Taliban?

I don't. Looks like the Taliban are not going to cooperate, so we'll need to take them and the terrorists down to make this work at all. Civilians should be left out as much as possible. But if you think we can wage a war in Afghanistan and be successful with no civilian casualties you're nuts. The other alternative is do nothing.

Let's hear less whining and more actual suggestions. I asked you before but you didn't answer it.

- Cryo

Celaeno (1d, 17h & 55m) > Cryofax