Re: Clobberin' Time...

Celaeno
SubjectRe: Clobberin' Time...
FromCelaeno
Date09/18/2001 01:20 (09/18/2001 01:20)
Message-ID<3ba64e1b.9014856@news.world-online.no>
Client
Newsgroupsrec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
FollowsCryofax
FollowupsCryofax (16h & 55m) > Celaeno

You will not evade me, jack_shappa@hotmail.com (Cryofax):

Cryofax
celaeno@shavenwookie.nospam.com (Celaeno) wrote in message

Celaeno
True. I'd prefer to think maybe the US would have the decency to not blow up a city at all in this case...

See the word 'decency' in that?

To expand upon that... To me, the ONLY thing that makes what happened on Tuesday NOT an act of war, is that it was not arranged by a government. In that vein, if the US government should -God forbid- arrange to have some city bombed to bits because the terrorists live there, that WILL be an act of war.

Cryofax
If a country aided and harbored the terrorists that did this, that's already an act of war and they deserve what they get.

Yes. But do you really believe some government somewhere knew and supported the hijacking of 4 airplanes used to murder thousands? Do you believe a whole nation or even just a whole city knew and cheered them on?

If we're punishing a country that aided the terrorists, we'll likely let them have some warning before we level a city (we have in the past). We can do this because there will be nothing they can do to stop it. This was not the case with Japan.

Ok, so when has the US given warning about destroying a city? And IF there is a government stupid enough to have knowingly harbored the people behind this, do you really think destroying the livelihoods of civilians is justified? Do that and you're no better than the hijackers, so knock it off with the selfrighteousness.

On the other hand if we're bombing an area to erradicate terrorists then it would be stupid to give any warning obviously.

I'm all for hitting the terrorists, and hitting them HARD. But, you don't have to use bombs to do that. Find them, wipe them out, bring them to justice, but try not to make a horrid situation even worse.

Celaeno
Hopefully, everyone but the hapless JWK will be able to understand what I'm trying to say here :)

Cryofax
Sounds like you're saying killing people is bad.

And you disagree with that? In this case, I'm saying killing the right people might be good, killing the wrong people is (as always) bad.

Rather than simply decry violence in the world, I'd like to hear your suggestions for dealing with the current situation with some detail...

Not act rashly. Just look at what's happening in Pakistan and Afghanistan right now because of the actions of one VERY thoughtless group of fanatics.

Rakelle -- There was an old man

Cryofax (16h & 55m) > Celaeno